Author Topic: Completed Did Holy Trinity, North Shields once have a burial ground?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed Did Holy Trinity, North Shields once have a burial ground?
« on: Thursday 15 December 22 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone might know if Holy Trinity, North Shields once had a burial ground?
In modern times, it has not.  However, there is a volume of burials at the local studies for this Church and I came across an old illustration which showed tall grassland surrounding the Church.
Might people have been buried there or would this have only been a ceremony and burials provided elsewhere?
I would appreciate any help with this question.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did Holy Trinity, North Shields once have a burial ground?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 22 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland Gazette suggests that the church was surrounded by allotments!

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/looking-back-at-holy-trinity-church-north-shields-423627
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 22 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB - I wonder if burials might have been in front of allotments?
There is a volume of burials at the local studies but perhaps this might just refer to the ceremonies and people might have buried elsewhere. ???

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 December 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
North Shields was a township in Tynemouth parish.
GenUKI says:

Transcripts of the Sexton's Books 1833-1839 for Tynemouth Cemetery and of monument inscriptions for Albion Road Cemetery, North Shields can be seen at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Dept.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 December 22 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad.
The Sexton's books are also on microfilm at North Shields local studies and there is also a volume of burials.  This is for Tynemouth Old Cemetery (not Holy Trinity) which exists no longer.  All the memorials have gone. 
The Sexton's entries are good in that cause of death is often provided too.

It could be possible though that Holy Trinity 'burials' may have gone to Tynemouth Old Cemetery. 

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 22 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking at old maps I can't see any evidence that there was ever a burial ground there.

I'd suggest that the 'burials' actually refer to funeral services which took place there, the burials carried out elsewhere by the clergy at Holy Trinity.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Did Holy Trinity, North Shields once have a burial ground?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 December 22 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jen, for checking the old maps.  I think that sounds conclusive then that there would not have been burials there - only ceremonies. 

Thanks and much appreciation to BumbleB, KGarrad and Jen for help given.  :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 22 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I was told it was surrounded by allotments,
perhaps ask (JM) next time your in North Shields Library
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 22 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I did ask JM there yesterday.
The answer was not known.  I was shown an old illustration of the Church surrounded by long grass.
I said I would ask on RootsChat and told them that someone was bound to know the answer. :)