Author Topic: Died in Gosforth.  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Gosforth.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 December 22 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just noticed that the pointer for the church on the map is wrong.  It's actually further south and opposite the South Gsoforth Metro Station.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 December 22 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I've tried and failed to find a death notice for Margaret in the available database for the Evening Chronicle - though the last couple of weeks of December are missing.
The missing ones 'may' be at the library but as the citation says with thanks to Newcastle Libraries and Information Service, I'd guess they don't have these ones either. 

If you do get to Newcastle then Tyne and Wear Archives have the Gosforth St Nicholas Registers on microfilm, so you'd be able to confirm William's burial and also check the last quarter of 1917 burials to see IF Margaret is also there.
If it were me I'd try there first and if you can see a burial for her then go to the library and try all the Newcastle papers for a few days prior to the burial date. Though Williams death notice was in the Evening Chronicle whoever dealt with Margaret's funeral may have chosen another newspaper.

Boo

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
St Nicholas churchyard is featured in "Find a Grave", but has no record of any Rounds at all. The site claims to have recorded nearly all the gravestones, though as Gadget says it  can be difficult to read some of the stones. Last time I walked round it was pretty overgrown so there may be some unrecorded stones lurking in the undergrowth. Mag
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 December 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
That's sad, Mag. Maybe there wasn't a headstone.

If Steve would like to find the grave, it  might be worth phoning the contact number. They might have a graveyard plan.

I found No 70 Station Road on Street view*. It's on the North side, near the roundabout and just before the crossing; a grey door.

Gadget

* at the bottom of Station Road
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 December 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank's to everyone for the usual sound and fruitful information,I had the sad duty of attending my Uncle
John Henry Round's funeral on Tuesday(Mam's brother) happily he reached the ripe old age of 89 but is the
last of the Round's in my direct family.After Christmas I'll get a chance to carry out the suggested action so have a Merry Christmas folk's and again many thank's.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)