Author Topic: Died in Gosforth.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Died in Gosforth.
« on: Thursday 15 December 22 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi folk's,my Gt Gt Grandparents William Henry Round D1913 and Margaret D1917 lived in station road
Gosforth at the time of their death's they were Methodists so could anyone take an educated guess
where they were likely to be buried and where the records could be found?
Regard's Steve.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Gosforth.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I think possibly St Andrew's Cemetery Jesmond or Hollywood Cemetery try first.

If not there then try All Saints then Jesmond Old Cemetery.  Unfortunately, Jesmond has no plots in the register.
St Nicholas Church is nearby but I am not sure if Methodists would be buried there or not.
Newcastle local studies in Newcastle City library 6th floor has the burials and newspapers on microfilm.  There is a lift or stairs.  They also have a memorials inscriptions book for St Andrew's Cemetery.  Look at this before you do anything as you might be able to see at a glance if there was a memorial
FamilySearch used to have the burials online for St Andrew's but I think these are locked and you have to go to a centre.
Another way to do it is to check all the Evening Chronicle notices for the quarter they died, in case there might have been a notice placed which records burial place.  It might be a long trawl but you might find them before getting through 3 months of papers.  Both spouses are likely to be in same burial place.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 22 17:36 GMT (UK) »
many thank's RTL I'm due time off in the new year so a trip to Newcastle and the Chronicle
deaths would be a good start.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Margaret’s death was in the December qtr 1917

Williams died June qtr 1914 - not 1913
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 22 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle Evening Chronicle  20 May 1914 , page 2 col 2

ROUND - At 70 Station Road, South Gosforth on the 18th inst. William Henry, the dearly beloved husband of Margaret Round, late of Chester-le-Street. To be interred at Gosforth Parish Church on Thursday at 2.30.

Boo

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 22 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank's Carol for the correcti year and great  the info Boo I would assume Margaret is buried in the
same place they left their eldest who was married in Chester le street and took their other son Lorenzo
Denison Round and adopted daughter to Gosforth I can't trace her after the 1911 Census but Lorenzo who
was a music teacher lived at the address till his death in the early sixties.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 22 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Without something to confirm it I would refrain from assumptions about her being buried in the same place.

I find that assumptions can cloud the issue and prefer to rely on records to give me clues, then I need the records to confirm it. (Mrs Belt n Braces, me!)

Though its very possible they are buried in the same place, IF after William died she went to live with one of their offspring she 'may' have been buried near to where they lived.

I'll attempt to find a death notice for her, but that will have to wait till tomorrow. If you have a date of death for her that would narrow down the time it will take to search.

If you have the opportunity to go to Newcastle then Tyne and Wear Archives will have the Parish Registers for Gosforth ( I believe that St Nicholas is the parish church) and you can check those for the burial record for William Henry.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 December 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant Boo that you found the notice for William!    St Nicholas is the Parish Church and the entry will be at Tyne and Wear Archives as you say.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 22 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I live about 5 mins away from St Nicholas Church and have walked around the grave yard a few times. It's very large and the stones are mostly very old and in various states of legibility. 

https://www.gosforthparishchurch.co.uk/our-hall

You could contact them here:

https://www.gosforthparishchurch.co.uk/contact-us

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***