Author Topic: Street name change? Barker's Drive, Carlton became Eastmoor Drive?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Street name change? Barker's Drive, Carlton became Eastmoor Drive?
« on: Friday 16 December 22 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a family in the 1901 census living in Barker's Drive, Burton Rd, Carlton.  The earlier streets in the preceding pages are for Ouse Drive, then some Burton Rd households, then Freeman's Terrace, more Burton Rd, then Barker's Drive, before more Burton Rd.  So working its way from east to west and going into and back out of all the cul de sacs.

I can't see a Barker's Drive on a modern map.

However, the same family in 1902 were in Eastmoor Drive, off Manor Crescent, off Burton Rd.

Was there a name change at some point as this looks as if Eastmoor Dr and perhaps Manor Cresc were once Barker's Drive?

[Edit: related to my query here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816084.msg6775479#msg6775479 although since then I've discovered more about my other questions in that thread].

Thanks.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Street name change? Barker's Drive, Carlton became Eastmoor Drive?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Here is a side-by-side view of the area. This map was surveyed in 1882 and revised 1899.

https://tinyurl.com/2p94r2z5

Going west along Burton Road from Freemans Terrace there seems to be a gated?entrance with access to three large houses, corresponding to the first section of the modern Manor Crescent and then Eastmoor Drive. I would say this is consistent with your idea and that the gated access was called Barkers Drive before it was developed/adopted.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AlanBoyd that is a very useful website.

The family's address was Highfield House, Eastmoor Drive in 1902, so I think that confirms that they didn't move from Barker's Drive but the street name changed.

I wonder if such name changes were announced in the local press or listed in an annual report somewhere?  I have a newspapers sub so will take a look.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Well, by coincidence I was just about to post this:

Here is a Sit Vac ad  from the Nottinghamshire Guardian, Saturday 04 August 1900. It refers to Highfield House, Barker's Drive, which you can see labelled on the right hand (modern) view in my previous post.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1928 there's a newspaper report of the death of 65-year-old Mr W H Barker, hosiery manufacturer, at his residence The Willows, Eastmoor Drive.  Head of a firm of the same name in Main St, Carlton and a resident of Carlton 'for many years'.

Presumably the Barker of Barker's Drive which was more of an informal description than an official road name?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Well, by coincidence I was just about to post this:

Here is a Sit Vac ad  from the Nottinghamshire Guardian, Saturday 04 August 1900. It refers to Highfield House, Barker's Drive, which you can see labelled on the right hand (modern) view in my previous post.

Well spotted!

Edit: Mrs Smith is 'my' Mrs Smith too.
Crook, Bannister, Warren