Author Topic: John Quail Family  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
John Quail Family
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 22:42 BST (UK) »
The family of John Quail (a tailor/draper) immigrated to Liverpool, Lancashire from the Isle of Man sometime in the late 1790s.

I know Quail is a very common name but I'm wondering if any of you can help me locate the family in parish records on the island?  They consisted of the following individuals:

John Quail m. Ann
Ann
Esther
John
Thomas
Elizabeth

Thank you, Laverdiere

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Quail Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 05 13:43 BST (UK) »
The IGI is fairly complete for the Isle of Man - look for baptism of say eldest child plugging in father and mother's name  - remember that Quayle is the more usual Manx spelling - there is also a very active Manx Genealogy board at http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl where more help is likely to be found
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will try that.  I've already looked in the IGI--my first stop--none of the kids born to John and Ann Quail/Quayle appear born at the right dates.  Ann was born 17 March 1778 marrying 6 July 1795 in Manchester, Lancashire. 

Jessica

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 05 16:49 BST (UK) »
How sure are you of his immediate manx roots ? - Manchester was reasonably rare for Manx at that period (Liverpool + Whitehaven much more common) - if they married in Manchester then unlikely any children born on the Island  - Quayle is however a very Manx name and it is difficult to see where else he could derive from - an  alternative spelling is Quale (Quail is one that is more typical of late 17th century when found in Manx records).  Tailors were  usually poorly paid  artisans - draper generally implies posssession of some capital in order to set up shop. If he was a draper in Liverpool then should appear in a Gore's directory (we know he's not in 1790 or 1796) - others are on microfilm at Liverpool Central Library.  (in Manchester Pigot's produced similar directories from early 19th C)

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
John and Ann presumably married in the Isle of Man and had their children there before moving to Liverpool in the 1790s.

I found the following in various directories which establishes that the family was in Liverpool.  Perhaps the daughter Ann and her siblings were born in Liverpool instead of Isle of Man? 

Thanks, Laverdiere

1790--A John Quay (same as John Quail???) at 66 Whitechapel listed as Tailor and Slopman (Gore 1790 Directory for Liverpool--transcription from the internet).

1816/1817--John Quail was at 26 White Chapel in Liverpool. (source: England Commercial Directory 1816-17)

1825--John Quail was at 71 Paradise Street in Liverpool (source: History of Lancashire as of 1825). (Also in Baine's Directory for 1825).

In Gore's Directory of Liverpool, 1825 (page 222) it lists a Quail, John, tailor and draper, at 71 Paradise Street.

In Gores' Directory of Liverpool, 1827 (page 260) found at www.historicaldirectories.org it lists Quail, John, tailor and draper at 12 Prices Street.

A Thomas Quail also a tailor and draper is at 19 Kent Street.

Perhaps: QUAYLE,JOHN,TAILOR,ELLIOT STREET,LIVERPOOL,E & T,
(Liverpool Poll book 1832--transcription from Internet.  The E and T stand for William EWART Esq., & Thomas THORNELY the liberals of the day).

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
in both 1790 and 1796 name is Quay which is another common Manx name (sometimes rendered Key,Kaye etc) in 1796 Quay John, Tailor, 67, Whitechapel (on www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/genealgy/england.htm) - rather suprising that name misspelled in two directories ? - I can confirm the 1790 entry (I wonder if I supplied it ?)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Laverdiere -

Just found / saw this "old" posting about tailors and drapers.

My 3x great grandfather was also a tailor/draper in Liverpool in the 1820s. His shop was located on St James and they lived on Chapel St.  His family moved from the Isle of Wight ??? to Liverpool.

I am interested in researching the industry in an attempt to find out more about my relatives. Do you have any historical references (books, web sites, etc.) about the tailor / draper industry in Liverpool that might assist me in my research?   

Thanks in advance.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
I don't but you might try looking at www.archive.org they've got all sorts of old books online!

Search text of all the books in archive.org by going to advanced search in Google (or other search engine) and putting www.archive.org/stream in the 'search within site or domain' box.

And you know, I guess, that Ancestry has lots of Liverpool/Lancashire records online now?  Beautiful stuff!

Good luck! Laverdiere