Author Topic: Ross Family - Dundee  (Read 1575 times)

Offline fiobro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross Family - Dundee
« on: Sunday 18 December 22 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello All.  I am hoping for advise or guidance please.  I am getting so lost and feel I am coming up against a brick wall.  I have only ever know my immediate family and very little detail about extended family.  My parents and three siblings were all born in  Dundee.  In 1966 they left Dundee and emigrated to Zimbabwe,  and I was born in 1971.  My parents have passed and I have found my dad's brother and we are in contact.  It is more my mum's siblings that I am struggling with.  My mother was Margaret Watt Ross and born September 1939.  I know my mum had older siblings James Ross (deceased) Jean Ross and Davina Ross.  She married William Robert Brown in November 1958.  On my parents marriage certificate,  my mums address was 28 Forest Park Road, and occupation was Watch Factory Inspectress.  I have spent a small fortune at Scotlands People, and will more than likely order James death certificate.   Is there any other resources that I can look at, which may help?  I have a tree on Ancestry and Find my past, but not getting any hints or can't find any definitive records.  Any advice would be appreciated,  as I feel I'm going round in circles.  Thank you in advance 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Family - Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 22 19:03 GMT (UK) »
The good news is that all the information you want is available at Scotland's People. The bad news is that you're working after the dates when you can view certificates online, which is why it seems difficult. But you are miles away from reaching a brick wall just yet :)

As you already have your parents' marriage certificate, what are the full names of your grandparents? This information is the key to making progress

Forget about Ancestry and FindMyPast and any other commercial web sites. You won't get what you are looking for there unless someone else has already researched and posted a tree - but never trust anything you find in an online tree; use it as pointers for your own research.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

You have access to Ancestry. Have you seen this tree as possible for Davina? www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/176218449/person/292401408302/facts  Not much on there but you could make contact and see what other info they have?

This Davina's death on SP shows her mother's maiden name as Young.

However, as Forfarian has mentioned, you need to start with the hard facts to be able to have confidence in your research. Your parents' marriage reg will give you what you need to move on.

Is this your family tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/185617553/person/372427699539/facts

David Johnston Ross and Jane Young's marriage in 1930 in Dundee showing as parents.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 22 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your tree on Ancestry, you seem to have quite a bit of information about the Ross family going back several generations.

You have as parents to Margaret Watt Ross: David Johnstone Ross (father) and Jane Young (mother). They were married in Dundee in 1930.

So I assume you are looking for information about their other children, siblings to Margaret, that you mention in your opening post.
Their death certificates would give you additional information
You know when James died.
I can see a death for Davina in Aberdeen for this current year.
The other sibling may well be still alive. RootsChat has a strict privacy policy about living people and so she cannot be discussed here.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Don't see this on the family tree.

Possible death for father David:

DAVID JOHNSTONE ROSS
Age 82
Mother's maiden name JOHNSTONE
Ref 352 / 717
Dundee

and, possible for mother Jane:

JANE ROSS or YOUNG
Age 84
Mother's maiden name GLEN
350 / 1052
Dundee

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 December 22 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Davina Ross or Fraser: death in Aberdeen 2022. There's an obituary in the Press and Journal of 17 June 2022:

FRASER (Stoneywood/Dundee) It is with great sadness, we announce the passing of our 'bonnie Dundee Lass', Davina, at Grandholm Care Home, on Saturday, June 11, 2022, aged 87 years. Beloved wife of the late Malcolm (Mac), much loved mum of ***, *** and the late Wendy, cherished sister of ***, Margaret and the late James, also a loving aunt and friend to many. Funeral service to take place at Bucksburn Stoneywood Church, on Thursday, June 23, at 10.30am, thereafter to Newhills Cemetery, to which all are welcome. Resting at Wm. Gilchrist Funeralcare, 10 Oldmeldrum Road, Bucksburn. Davina's family wish to take this opportunity to thank all staff at Grandholm Care Home, for the excellent care given to Davina during her stay. She will be very sorely missed by all who knew her.

In accordance with RootsChat policy asterisks replace the names of living people - you can see the names if you look it up for yourself.
https://ajl.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/home/view/4880530/fraser

Davina Ross and Malcolm McGregor Fraser were married in Aberdeen in 1955.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fiobro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 December 22 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

You have access to Ancestry. Have you seen this tree as possible for Davina? www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/176218449/person/292401408302/facts  Not much on there but you could make contact and see what other info they have?

This Davina's death on SP shows her mother's maiden name as Young.

However, as Forfarian has mentioned, you need to start with the hard facts to be able to have confidence in your research. Your parents' marriage reg will give you what you need to move on.

Is this your family tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/185617553/person/372427699539/facts

David Johnston Ross and Jane Young's marriage in 1930 in Dundee showing as parents.

Monica

Thank you Monica,  Yes that is my family tree.  I have gone quite far back, but it is the more  recent people I am looking for.  But I should have checked the rules a bit more.   I have seen the entries on SP, but just wondered if there were any other resources.  But thank you for you help.

Offline fiobro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 22 00:24 GMT (UK) »
The good news is that all the information you want is available at Scotland's People. The bad news is that you're working after the dates when you can view certificates online, which is why it seems difficult. But you are miles away from reaching a brick wall just yet :)

As you already have your parents' marriage certificate, what are the full names of your grandparents? This information is the key to making progress

Forget about Ancestry and FindMyPast and any other commercial web sites. You won't get what you are looking for there unless someone else has already researched and posted a tree - but never trust anything you find in an online tree; use it as pointers for your own research.

Thank you Forfarian, I will keep on pushing forward.  I got all excited about a tree on Ancestry, matched mine perfectly, and then I messaged the owner, but heard nothing back, so that has made me very weary now. 

Offline fiobro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 December 22 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Davina Ross or Fraser: death in Aberdeen 2022. There's an obituary in the Press and Journal of 17 June 2022:

FRASER (Stoneywood/Dundee) It is with great sadness, we announce the passing of our 'bonnie Dundee Lass', Davina, at Grandholm Care Home, on Saturday, June 11, 2022, aged 87 years. Beloved wife of the late Malcolm (Mac), much loved mum of ***, *** and the late Wendy, cherished sister of ***, Margaret and the late James, also a loving aunt and friend to many. Funeral service to take place at Bucksburn Stoneywood Church, on Thursday, June 23, at 10.30am, thereafter to Newhills Cemetery, to which all are welcome. Resting at Wm. Gilchrist Funeralcare, 10 Oldmeldrum Road, Bucksburn. Davina's family wish to take this opportunity to thank all staff at Grandholm Care Home, for the excellent care given to Davina during her stay. She will be very sorely missed by all who knew her.

In accordance with RootsChat policy asterisks replace the names of living people - you can see the names if you look it up for yourself.
https://ajl.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/home/view/4880530/fraser

Davina Ross and Malcolm McGregor Fraser were married in Aberdeen in 1955.

Thank you Forfarian, I have seen these certficiates on SP, but was not sure.  But obituary confirms this is my mum's sister.  Thank you ever so much for that, I will keep digging.  And sorry I didn't mean to break any rules, I will adhere to them.  Thank you once again :-)