Author Topic: Kinspindie burial 1837  (Read 754 times)

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kinspindie burial 1837
« on: Monday 19 December 22 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a burial for William Reid in 1837 Kinspindie, late of Kingston, Jamaica. I have a baptism for Kinspindie in 1791, although his following siblings are then born in Coupar Angus, and the family settle in Kettins. Wm married Elizabeth in Meigle in 1827 and his last son was born 1829. There are no census records for him; his wife is alone with children in the 1841 census, although only one is definitely her's and William's.

Two questions, if anyone can help.
Firstly, is there some way of confirming that this is 'my' William? There's no info on the burial record other than the reference to Jamaica, and that he died in the school-house. I'm fascinated by this link to Jamaica.
Secondly, what reason would he have to go to Jamaica and leave his family, if he didn't take them with him? I did find a couple of William Reids imprisoned for Treason after the Jacobite rebellion, but obviously they're too early. 😉 This is a family of weavers and foresters, essentially, although at least one sibling became a builder. They seem mainly connected to Kettins, Coupar Angus and Kirriemuir.
Many thanks.

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kinspindie burial 1837 COMPLETED
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 14:28 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE.

I found an image of the grave online. He is buried with his sister, so I checked her death record, which then gave me the parents, which don't match mine. The sister was married to the schoolmaster which explains him dying there. Their father was Alexander Reid, and mine was David, so he's not my William, but there could still be a connection. Fascinating, nonetheless. 😊

Admin can close this as completed now.