Author Topic: Information on great great grandparents  (Read 1936 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on great great grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 05:11 GMT (UK) »

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
Dublin Morning Register 7 Mar 1840  p2

"Patrick Gahan was indicted for feloniously breaking into the bake house of John Byrne, end with steeling therefrom a pair of blankets, two sacks, and some other articles. The offence was prosed the prosecutor’s servant, and verdict of guilty having been returned, the prisoner, who was an old offender, was sentenced to transportation for seven years."

Can you please give all the information you have about Patrick's life in NSW.......marriage / children / death.

Offline My Harry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on great great grandparents
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 February 23 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Gahan was transported to Australia in August 1840 on King William. He was sent to a town called Yass district in New South Wales. He was granted a ticket leave in 1845. He worked on a property called Omer. This is near a town called Braidwood.
In 1853, he married a widow, Mary Harrington (nee Kelly). Mary had a son named John after his father. John Senior was also a convict. Patrick and Mary had nine children. Mary died of puerperal fever after the birth of her last child. Mary Kelly came to Australia with her family on the Forth which arrived in Sydney, Australia, in August 1841.
Patrick died in Tarago New South Wales in 1899.
Patrick Gahan was my great great grandfather. The name was changed by my grandfather Bernard Gann, this may have been the avoid the stigma associated at the time with his father being a convict.