Author Topic: Street name - Bridgeton/Dalmarnock, Glasgow  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Gavin_J123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Street name - Bridgeton/Dalmarnock, Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 20 December 22 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I looked up an old map of Bridgeton but couldn’t see anything similar… perhaps one of you lovely people might help me crack it?  :)

I thought maybe Lothian Street however thats the other end of the city so not near Bridgeton on Dalmarnock

Any help appreciated

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Street name - Bridgeton/Dalmarnock, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Norman Street to me.  :)

Not sure what time period you have, but you can see it on this side by side map
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.5&lat=55.84278&lon=-4.22280&layers=6&right=ESRIWorld

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I looked up an old map of Bridgeton but couldn’t see anything similar… perhaps one of you lovely people might help me crack it?  :)
52 Norman Street, however, a date would be beneficial?

Why have you posted 2 different areas, Bridgeton & Dalmarnock, what info. is on your doc to suggest both as it appears to be in Dalmarnock?

Maybe post some details of the person(s) with dates to assist anyone trying to help you?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gavin_J123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 11:12 GMT (UK) »
52 Norman Street, however, a date would be beneficial?

Why have you posted 2 different areas, Bridgeton & Dalmarnock, what info. is on your doc to suggest both as it appears to be in Dalmarnock?

Maybe post some details of the person(s) with dates to assist anyone trying to help you?

Annie

Thanks for reply Annie. It is from 1921, the reason I posted both is because while it seems to be in the burgh of Dalmarnock, its in the Parish of Bridgeton (and pretty much right on the border it seems). Indeed it does seem to be 52 Norman Street.. always seems so obvious in retrospect! haha

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, missed the earlier post with the map link. :-[

Norman Street ran south from Adelphi Street and can be seen on this 1922 plan of the City
https://maps.nls.uk/view/142842413

PS Although listed as Bridgeton it is just along from Dalmarnock Road Railway Station & Dalmarnock Road itself. (Registration District Boundaries often had no reflection of Civil or Burgh Boundaries but were originally simply placed on top of Parish Boundaries)

Norman Street can still be seen on a Google satellite image of the area but there are no houses left just a few industrial units and a lot of waste ground.

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 22 14:59 GMT (UK) »
100% Norman street,
My father was born 52 Norman street in 1921, he doesn't appear there in the Census but is listed as a patient aged 6 months in hospital.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland

Offline Gavin_J123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 22 16:17 GMT (UK) »
100% Norman street,
My father was born 52 Norman street in 1921, he doesn't appear there in the Census but is listed as a patient aged 6 months in hospital.

Very cool, it seems my great & 2nd Great Grandfather (and family) were neighbours with your father as they all shared a block.. If you dont mind me asking was your father a Catholic man ? from what I can tell Norman Street was the heartland of the Catholic gang 'Norman Conks' who got into quite a lot of trouble with the protestants, yet my ancestors were protestants themselves (Church of Ireland)... I wouldn't have thought there'd be much inter-mingling back then but perhaps I'm wrong.

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 22 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gavin,
I have no doubt my Grandfather and yours knew each other, they both lived in the same tenement, most probably drank in tbe same pubs, Bridgeton had a large first and second generation Irish community hense the Norman Conks, the largest Protestant gang in that area was the Billy boys which still exists to this day but under a different name (Bridgeton Derry), my grandfather was Catholic but i'm sure there was some as you say "iinter mingling" back then.
  Regards, John,
        Have a happy and safe Christmas.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland