Author Topic: Betsy & John Harold Terry  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Betsy & John Harold Terry
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 December 22 18:43 GMT (UK) »
It's not that far, Shipley is West Sussex and Fletching is East Sussex - Staplehurst is also a place name and just over there border in Kent - they likely took the name from there way back  :) :)

Maybe that’s it - maybe I saw the place name on one of the vital records as I was looking for my ancestors.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 December 22 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Jack-John is not in the 1921 Montreal Directory
https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/3653226?docsearchtext=1921%20Montreal%20directory

It takes a moment to load the page, then you have to type 63 to get to the page that has Terrys (it is on directory page 1607).

I haven’t checked Quebec directories for a few years.  I believe there was a different directory for the outskirts of Montreal.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 December 22 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been sifting through Fred/John/etc's military records.
https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B9573-S048

The last address for wife Betty [sic] as next of kin, was GPO Detroit, Michigan, and that was dated 24 Dec 1919.
However, Fred/John/etc was discharged in Jan 2020, to a hospital in Quebec, for treatment.

Betsy must have gone from Michigan to Quebec to be near him, and (assuming Peter is hers, as there are a LOT of Terry's), had the baby in Quebec.  Perhaps there is a border crossing?

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 22 December 22 19:13 GMT (UK) »

The last address for wife Betty [sic] as next of kin, was GPO Detroit, Michigan, and that was dated 24 Dec 1919.
However, Fred/John/etc was discharged in Jan 2020, to a hospital in Quebec, for treatment.

Betsy must have gone from Michigan to Quebec to be near him, and (assuming Peter is hers, as there are a LOT of Terry's), had the baby in Quebec.  Perhaps there is a border crossing?

We have a problem... Betsy and toddler George passenger record is March 1920.

So who is wife "Betty" in Detroit......

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 22 December 22 19:31 GMT (UK) »

I originally wondered about there possibly being two men with similar details, but aren’t the births always 4 March 1898/1899?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 December 22 19:52 GMT (UK) »

Peter William Terry - The Province
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
24 Jun 1976, Thu  •  Page 37

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/115023350/the-province/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 December 22 02:31 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if any family members were in Detroit, ahead of Betsy’s North American arrival? Could they have set up her GPO address, in anticipation of John Jack’s and Betsy’s move?

Offline buttercup2009

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 December 22 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I think the Detroit address is a bit of a red herring - I think they may have intended to go there and when John Terry went to florida in 1949 he mentions a Harry Jones who I believe maybe this contact in Detroit. I can find no evidence of them being there and she was in an Industrial School in Rottingdean in 1911 - they married in 1919 in Brighton Sussex and she had George there in 1917/18. I can't see a time when she would have been in Detroit, Betty may have been misspelt. She is Betsy on her second son Peter William born in 1920 in Montreal. He mentions in some of that army paperwork that he is a machinist so I wondered if he may have secured an offer of work in Detroit after his discharge? I am still looking for both Betsy Jones/Terry and George Jones/Terry but I cant see them anywhere. I think Betsy was in Canada to meet him in 1920 and they seem to have ended up in Montreal where the second son was born and she was most likely pregnant on arrival. I am waiting for the MC for them and I may send for a BC for George. A possible connection to Detroit may be Harry Jones from Pennsylvania living in Coral Gables Florida and who John was going too in 1949.

I wonder if any family members were in Detroit, ahead of Betsy’s North American arrival? Could they have set up her GPO address, in anticipation of John Jack’s and Betsy’s move?
Davey Brightlingsea/Jersey/Oxford
Whitsey Lambeth
Cuckow Coventry/Camberwell/Canada
Broadrib Camberwell/Canada
Mear(e)s Haverfordwest/Woolwich
Lemon Plymouth/Woolwich/Plumstead
Staplehurst Sussex/Greenwich
Frisby Market Deeping/Ontario/BC Canada
Terry Bletchingley/London/BC Canada
Hunt Alresford/Plumstead/Deptford
Gorring Plumstead/Canada
Ford  Woolwich - James Thomas died in South Africa