Author Topic: Bland Square, Lighthouse stairs, Ropery Stairs, Bell st North Shields  (Read 3102 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bland Square, Lighthouse stairs, Ropery Stairs, Bell st North Shields
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 December 22 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Shields Daily News - Monday 17 December 1866

NUISANCES IN NORTH SHIELDS.
DEAR SIR,—Allow me to say a little on the above subject. I wish the Corporation of North Shields would look after the condition of Linskill's Ropery-stairs, Tyne-street. Descending the stairs, your foot slips and away you go—the cause of this is rotten eggs, orange and apple peel. You have to blow your nose constantly, whether going up or down, for the smell is so awful. This is the cause of so many diseases in this town. Thanking you for the space I have occupied, and hoping that this will be looked into,
I remain, yours truly,
A YOUTH ON THE ROPERY STAIRS.
North Shields. Dec. 17, 1866
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 December 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Excellent map Alan.  :) I’m sure that the information found by you and Sandra will be a great help.

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 December 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
A very detailed book on the development of North Shields is 'Shiels to Shields: The Life Story of a North Tyneside Town' by Danny Lawrence, published in 2016.

Well worth a read, for anyone interested.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have an excellent modern paper back book called Stepping back in Time,North Shields by Jack Shotton
watch out for a copy coming up for sale its very good ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Also the Late Alan Beautyman maps can be found online, they are also available in North Shields Library ,they are part of a set showing where all the old pubs were ,they clearly show Bland square and the steps
BellSt/Tyne Street 1858
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Another good site you may enjoy is the Beamish peoples collection showing photo's of the Fish Quay and banks, obviously they aren't that old but do give you an idea of how overcrowded and run down the area wa

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 January 23 20:14 GMT (UK) »
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/photos-show-old-stairs-step-1394117

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Shields-Stepping-Back-Time/dp/1906721378/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1672683431&refinements=p_27%3AJack+Shotton&s=books&sr=1-1

I would recommend Jack Shotton's books if you are interested in the stairs and the old low town area of North Shields.

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information
North Shields local studies have a good photo collection too (over 50,000 indexed photos!) if you might be interested in contacting them.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner