Author Topic: Did Murtha marry twice?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did Murtha marry twice?
« on: Thursday 22 December 22 13:31 GMT (UK) »
hi all,am trying to verify if Murtha Fennelly, born kyle ,on 5/3/1792 to Ben and /Mary b.Murphy  in Rapalagh, Durrow,Laoise,I have Murtha marrying ? Mary anne Bergin,in 1821. family.Benjamin 5/1/1822 Matthew,27/8/1824.Mary,3/1/1827, Martin,25/10/1829,John,24/10/1832.i have the bold Murtha at it again, he remarried Mary Leonard 1833 / 1836.family.bridget,B.18/10/1836.Ballacolla.Murtha.B 14/6/1844,in Kyle./kile/.I am inclined to follow the Mary Leonard thread because, /A/ the name Murtha is very strong all the way through my side,/B/ Martin  crops up in the Mary Bergin marriage which is strange to see the english version of Murtha murta murty.Merry Christmas to one and all.Feno.

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Did Murtha marry twice?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 22 14:52 GMT (UK) »
hi all,am trying to verify if Murtha Fennelly, born kyle ,on 5/3/1792 to Ben and /Mary b.Murphy  in Rapalagh, Durrow,Laoise,I have Murtha marrying ? Mary anne Bergin,in 1821. family.Benjamin 5/1/1822 Matthew,27/8/1824.Mary,3/1/1827, Martin,25/10/1829,John,24/10/1832.i have the bold Murtha at it again, he remarried Mary Leonard 1833 / 1836.family.bridget,B.18/10/1836.Ballacolla.Murtha.B 14/6/1844,in Kyle./kile/.I am inclined to follow the Mary Leonard thread because, /A/ the name Murtha is very strong all the way through my side,/B/ Martin  crops up in the Mary Bergin marriage which is strange to see the english version of Murtha murta murty.Merry Christmas to one and all.Feno.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 22 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Please stop quoting in your messages as it's making it very difficult to see if you are only re-quoting a previous post or trying to add something new to a thread.

I posted this on another thread of yours but you never responded to it-
HI,The information i have is not research i carried out myself,i am sure the info, on Murtha is accurate,but after reading your recent reply i am not so sure of the 1st marriage,re Mary anne Bergin.in1821.family born to Murtha and Mary anne Bergin.Benjamin,5/1822. Matthew,27/8/1824.Mary,3/1/1827.Martin,25/10/1829.John,24/10/1832.   this is where the problem occurs,Bridget,18/10/1836.born in Ballacolla.Matthew,24/2/1839,born ahaboe.Murtha[2] b.14/6/1844.we have two Matthews and really two Martins,as you know murtha is the irish for Martin
 was born in Kyle,

I've not come across Murta/Martin being interchangeable. Murtagh (Murdoch in Scotland) or even Mort/Mortimer but not Martin. I did quite a bit of searching online and haven't found a single reference linking Murta to the name Martin. [/quote]
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.i am finished with the whole sorry mess i got myself into,i suppose we can not always be as proficient on the keyboards as we would wish,  obliged. Feno

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
  Happy new year to all,best wishes,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you too, feno.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
thanks Heywood.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 23 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I've not come across Murta/Martin being interchangeable. Murtagh (Murdoch in Scotland) or even Mort/Mortimer but not Martin. I did quite a bit of searching online and haven't found a single reference linking Murta to the name Martin. [/quote]
[/quote]

Not too sure re Murtagh and Martin but in Ireland Martin is often changed to Murty as have both a brother in law and a 1st cousin named Martin and both are called Murt/Murty in everyday usage.
Both are from Laois so perhaps its a regional thing ?
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 23 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,yes its seems a regional thing,same as that myself, Fathers name Martin,more commonly called Murt.poor but proud.