Author Topic: Did Murtha marry twice?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline feno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Murtha marry twice?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I  can  answer  my  own question,  i  think, A   Michael  Fennelly,  Palmers  hill, Ballacolla, [do not know the connection]  married  Mary  Leonard,  Aghaboe,  on  25/1/1836. Also  Bridget  Finley, on my family  tree,  is  Murta and Mary [Bergin's]  last  child. This  means that Michael, and not  Murtha  [1] is  my GGG grandfather.  Thomas [1]    Murtha [2] [2] and Mike,[3].  Feno.

Offline Dnafinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 February 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
That’s the information that I’d found , that I could find my GGG grandad being Murty marrying Mary Bergin and not going on to marry a Mary Leonard , but i’d seen this posted on so many peoples family trees. I’d found a Michael Fennelly marrying a Mary Leonard , you’ve now also found this . I sent you a message to share the info I had cos I’m not sure how to post on here. I wonder if Murtha and Michael were siblings meaning that Ben and Bridget were still both our ancestors. Obviously Murtha the name still features in your tree as one of Mary and Micheal children , I do hope there’s still a link between us.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 February 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
...Michael  Fennelly,  Palmers  hill, Ballacolla, [do not know the connection]  married  Mary  Leonard,  Aghaboe... 

Palmershill townland, Co. Laois
https://www.townlands.ie/laois/clarmallagh/aghaboe/kildellig/palmershill/

Aghaboe townland, Co. Laois
https://www.townlands.ie/laois/clarmallagh/aghaboe/kildellig/aghaboe/

Ballacolla village about 7-8 km to the south east of both townlands.

Ballycolla t/l, Ballacolla
https://www.townlands.ie/laois/clarmallagh/aghaboe/killermogh/ballycolla/

On OpenStreetMap-
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4541255#map=13/52.8962/-7.5040

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Dnafinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I think Feno is local to the area but I live in Yorkshire UK but visited last summer, we visited the graveyard at Aghaboe and stayed in Ballacolla. My Grandma used to always say if ever we drove up and down an incline….. ‘ up the hill and down the holla, that’s the way to Ballacolla ‘ 😆x

Offline Dnafinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 February 23 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Busy trying to find if Murta and Michael are syblings .

Offline Dnafinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 23 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Feno …. Just found the marriage of Mary Leonard , as above  25.01.1836 , listed as marrying Michael on Roots Ireland , but the same marriage on Family Search as being Murt , so that’s our confusion. Still doesn’t answer whether the Murts are both the same man and that he married twice but makes some sense. I’m going to try and find out now if Mary Ann Bergin  ( Fennelly) died prior to this marriage, which would make two marriages more feasible.