Author Topic: Birth and or Baptism of John Bain c1800-1840 Scotland  (Read 5893 times)

Offline 0z

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth and or Baptism of John Bain c1800-1840 Scotland
« on: Friday 23 December 22 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I am a newbie too. This is my first post so if I stuff up somewhere along the line please be patient.
I have been trying to find his birth and or his baptism date to no avail. I have downloaded all the John Baines' from Scotland ( and there are a few) but how do I find the correct entry. John Bain Married Agnes Wilson 1832 Dalkeith Midlothian Scotland. As Agnes was also born in Dalkeith I am assuming that John Bain would have been born in the same area. On John's burial record it says he was 38yrs old and as Agnes Wilson could have been the informant? I now believe John was born in 1802.
By the way this is not my family but the family of my dearest friends in Australia. ( I lived in OZ for over 46yrs But now I am back living in my birth place Salisbury.)
I have found John Bain (still with the basic information) included in a Family Tree and DNA was used to place him there. Could this be correct. I know nothing about DNA connections, how does it work?
Well I think that's enough for now. I do hope someone can answer some of my queries. Thanks.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and or Baptism of John Bain c1800-1840 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 December 22 22:18 GMT (UK) »
In my experience one has to be extremely skeptical of any info in trees on ancestry. To say its riddled with mistakes would be a massive under-statement.

I see a son born to the couple you mentioned:

BAIN
THOMAS WILSON
JOHN BAIN/AGNES WILSON FR2947 (FR2947)
M
20/04/1834
DALKEITH

The John Bain's I see close to 1802 is a list of about 5 in Midloathian but it would be pretty hard to guess. If I had to I'd say it might be one of the 1801 births (there's three).

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 December 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to see this census on SP. I'm pretty sure this is John's widow Agnes and children...but there is a Kenith who was born before the 1832 wedding. It could be a nephew. Doesn't say on freecen.

1841 census with Agnes Bain and Tho:mas W

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15153af4040b9d6e20dd89/thomas-w-bain-1841-midlothian-dalkeith-1834-?locale=en

Looks like Kenneth from the census was born to a John Bain and a Margaret Stephen in 1828:

BAIN
KENNETH
JOHN BAIN/MARGRET STEPHEN FR2904 (FR2904)
M
24/02/1828
DALKEITH

Wondering if John could have been previously married to Margaret Stephen before marrying Agnes Wilson in 1832? Just something to look into...
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 December 22 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat. :)

John had a previous marriage in 1827 to Margaret Steven.
Son Kenneth born 1828 Dalkeith is with Agnes and her 2 sons in the 1841 census
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15153af4040b9d6e20dd89/thomas-w-bain-1841-midlothian-dalkeith-1834-?locale=en

The marriage banns for John Bain and Agnes Wilson were read in 2 parishes (Dalkeith and St Cuthberts).  Do any of his marriage records have any further information, or names of witnesses?

SP index shows 2 death records in Dalkeith – both are on the same date 26 Feb 1840.
One has John Bain aged 35, the other has John Bain aged 38. You may need to sort out why there are 2 records, and what they say.

Have you considered the 1805 birth in Leith South for John Bain with father Kenneth Bain?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 22 08:39 GMT (UK) »
John and Margaret also had a daughter - in Dalkeith
Name   Janet Bain
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   7 Feb 1829
Event Place   Dalkeith, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original)   Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Sex   Female
Father's Name   John Bain
Mother's Name   Margaret Stephen
 :)

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline 0z

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 22 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat. :)

John had a previous marriage in 1827 to Margaret Steven.
Son Kenneth born 1828 Dalkeith is with Agnes and her 2 sons in the 1841 census

The marriage banns for John Bain and Agnes Wilson were read in 2 parishes (Dalkeith and St Cuthberts).  Do any of his marriage records have any further information, or names of witnesses?

SP index shows 2 death records in Dalkeith – both are on the same date 26 Feb 1840.
One has John Bain aged 35, the other has John Bain aged 38. You may need to sort out why there are 2 records, and what they say.

Have you considered the 1805 birth in Leith South for John Bain with father Kenneth Bain?

Thankyou Neal I was unaware of the Marriage between John Bain and Margaret Stephen 1827. I have now downloaded the record and have also  rechecked the 1841 Census. After opening the entry for Kenneth I saw that he was born to John and Margaret Stephens, I assumed Kenneth was an early child born to John and Agnes, (never assume) I hear you say. Another lesson learnt.

The first entry regarding their marriage was the Banns being read. The witnesses mentioned was the Father of Agnes, Thomas Wilson and a Stephen Lawson a Slater (the same occupation as John probably a friend from work?) The second entry is the Marriage being recorded. No witnesses only the Minister. Thomas Wilson was recorded but as the Late Thomas Wilson

The Two entries for the death of John Bain is the first entry is his Death Date the second is his Burial Date. He died of Consumption.

I will look at the entry for 1805 John Bain, Father, Kenneth, looks promising but before I do that I will have look on SP for the marriage of John and Margaret Stephenson. I will let you know the outcome.
You have helped me a great deal so thankyou.

Offline 0z

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 December 22 12:14 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to see this census on SP. I'm pretty sure this is John's widow Agnes and children...but there is a Kenith who was born before the 1832 wedding. It could be a nephew. Doesn't say on freecen.

1841 census with Agnes Bain and Tho:mas W

Looks like Kenneth from the census was born to a John Bain and a Margaret Stephen in 1828:

BAIN
KENNETH
JOHN BAIN/MARGRET STEPHEN FR2904 (FR2904)
M
24/02/1828
DALKEITH

Wondering if John could have been previously married to Margaret Stephen before marrying Agnes Wilson in 1832? Just something to look into..

Yes Agnes was the widow of John (she never married again) and I have download the marriage entry for John Bain and Margaret Steven 1827. I will be looking on SP for this marriage, could give the witnesses names, hopefully the Father of John. Thank you so much for your help.
PS I have looked at the entry on SP but it gives No information regarding any witnesses, none were recorded. I am surprised.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 December 22 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Wilson's father looks to have been Thomas Wilson as per the St Cuthberth Parish Register. From the index on Family Search www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9K-2BQ The original image will be on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Likely christening for Agnes www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1TN-3F8

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 December 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
There is another John Bain on the 1841 census, born and living in Midlothan, with a son Kenneth. Doesn't help when trying to eliminate possible Johns www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a151901f4040b9d6e24f034/kenneth-bain-1841-midlothian-leith-south-1830-?locale=en

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk