Author Topic: Ancestry - Online(sic) Chingford Mount cemetery registers  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry - Online(sic) Chingford Mount cemetery registers
« on: Friday 23 December 22 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Previoously although found to be woefully inadequate with scores of folios missing - through hasty page turning because they really do exist! I have managed to cope, just.

Now at this link which at least does open: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/9041/
I find only one register exists 1895-c1911. Not only that, and it seems to apply to other cemetery site locations via this link as well, there is no drop-down facility to get the "date range" of registers that were once listed. I am positive I have not missed the correct application to reach the archive.

This may, or may not have something to do with the simple, but glaring fact, I reported a year ago the sheer swathe of unscanned folios - for my local, Chingford Mount cemetery, amounting to hundreds of folios. Does anyone know whether they are finally re-doing the task or just being
awkward? I was made aware by previous postings other people were well aware of the shortcomings but nobody seemed to have taken Ancestry to task over it.

Offline tellx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Online(sic) Chingford Mount cemetery registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 22 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I followed the link and with the dropdown menus on the right selected

Greater London
Chingford Mount Cemetery

There are over 33000 pages covering a wide date range

page  5000 = 1899
       10000 = 1911
       15000 = 1921
       20000 = 1934
       25000 = 1944
       30000 = 1954

All the volumes seems to be there, but some are a bit mixed up. (page 33200 = 1902)

Not sure why the date range selection has gone but at least the records are there.
Terry, Greenway, Hudson, Conway, Simmonds, Childs, Oram, Dee, Bennett, Smith, Sturge, Bolas, Gibbons

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Tremendous tellx except for the fact once again for 1892 it runs Folio 188 then 192. Missing precisely the folio I need approx. 191. ::)   What a shambles!  If Ancestry cannot, or will not explain themselves via their website they should not promote the registers in 'Collection 9041' are available without serious errors in the scanning process.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the possibility that you're looking for something that no longer exists, so it would, therefore, be impossible for Ancestry to make it available via their website?  Maybe lost, damaged by water, eaten by mice, or similar? 

Perhaps you could check with the County Records Office?

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline tellx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/9041/images/46493_3073127_0005-00247?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&pId=804395

Is that the page you need?

If not you can navigate the pages that don't appear with the arrows by changing the number in the address. ( ---- 0005-00246 ---- will take you back a page, and ---- 0005-00248 ---- will take you forward a page)
Terry, Greenway, Hudson, Conway, Simmonds, Childs, Oram, Dee, Bennett, Smith, Sturge, Bolas, Gibbons

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 22 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Excellent tellx -Merriman is the burial on Folio 191*. But what a palaver. I don't begin to understand the methodology, but I appreciate your focus to bring it to me.

What I still find very annoying is that the sequence any researcher would use (I am not a pupil of Einstein's work) would be page & date related - specific to the one register uploaded.
Thus: 20/10/1892= fol 188 = pg 1143. 21/10.1892=fol 193=pg 1144. 22/10/1892=fol197=pg 1145.
Opening the link you provided gives me 21.10.1892=fol 191=pg 21474 of 33826. I don't think even the inimitable Star Trek's "Spock", would find that logical.
Any backers for Ancestry feel free to comment

Best regards.