Author Topic: Fletcher West  (Read 698 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Fletcher West
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I did see a lot of the other info posted but I didn't add it as was waiting for your reply.

You confused me as you said Fletcher was a Boat Builder and I could only find a Waterman :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, the info about Fletcher being a boatbuilder was in a note I had made some years ago. I'm not sure where I got it from.  ( rookie error!) Waterman makes much more sense. Sorry to be misleading.
The family seemed to have remained in the Byker/ All Saints area. By 1841 onwards they are at Dents Hole and Birds Nest.Fletcher's direct descendent Joseph West was by 1915 living in the Walker Road, where he and his wife Eliza Mary (neeSpatchett) had a shop until the mid - 1930's,
The trade of waterman lasted in the family till Allan West (3rd) (1852 - 1884) who was boilermaker/ striker to blacksmith. Maybe this reflects the waning of the trade, I'm not sure?  Tbough the guild does still thrive on the Thames, I know.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I think perhaps you picked up that he was a boat builder as Fletcher Wilson is noted as one in 1820
North Shore Newcastle upon Tyne
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 15:49 GMT (UK) »
That might be the answer, Radcliffe. Thanks.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 08:30 GMT (UK) »
All good bykerlads.

I cant seem to see anything on line for Fletchers bapt and even looked for a West/Fletcher Marriage c 1700-1726 just in case Fletcher was his Mothers mn.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for having a look, Trish.
I just floated the original post about Fletcher West, having neglected that branch for a long time.
Am really pleased to get the extra info from the rootschatters.