Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 1st January 2023  (Read 4338 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 1st January 2023
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Problem is, tidying up a bit is not enough.  To stop 2023 being bad everything needs to be scrubbed and everything perfectly aligned.   There is no chance I can do all that in one day.  By everything I mean walls, all cupboards, skirting boards, I should have done a couple of hours each night the last few nights and not fallen asleep when I got back from Glasgow.  My leg is still very sore.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I really cannot understand they whys and wherefores  of the situation, if you rent and keep it tidy then I would assume you are doing it right, surely  no one has to wash down walls , cupboards and skirting boards everytime you get a visit which seems to  be quite frequent, I cannot understand Scottish law for single mothers, seems to be one sided in my opinion but then what do I know?
PT, you can only do your best .

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 21:08 GMT (UK) »
this time it is not for a visit.  It is for the bells, New Year.  If the house is not perfect you will have the worst luck possible for the whole of the next year, and I can't have things continuing to get worse.I can't spoil the trial, otherwise the girls will be in so much dangerous.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I understand  now, for years I did the same Christmas eve and new year, by midnight house was ship shape, I was also clean, washed and sorted out my hair waiting  for new year,  but must confess I can't do as  much now but I will do my best.

Good luck PT

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I understand  now, for years I did the same Christmas eve and new year, by midnight house was ship shape, I was also clean, washed and sorted out my hair waiting  for new year,  but must confess I can't do as  much now but I will do my best.

Good luck PT

LM

I did the same thing and as the years passed and the family and work responsibility got greater I was always ill on Christmas Day.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 December 22 05:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm so glad I didn't know about that cleanliness superstition

I've spread paperwork everywhere in living room/kitchen
 The room is tiny ... landlady dropped in yesterday and I had to clear the chair and a sofa space

I only wash up once a day
& With my vertigo I can't do any bending scrubbing or hoovering

I might be inspired now to clear floor space and ask if a neighbour could hoover

2023 is holding out positive vibes for me .
I would hate that to be jinxed cos my flat isnt clean OR. Tidy

It was going to be a new years resolution
Don't think I can get a cleaner before new year

Pharma We can only do our best .
My Scots grandma had health problems too and Never followed THAT traditiON  or even told us about us
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 December 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I do think it is a Scottish tradition but over the years it might have been relaxed, sometimes it is followed down through families,  as the years pass and we get older we can't do as much as we used to,  we can only do our best and in my opinion if our best isn't good enough for some , tough, one family member won't have visitors because she is ashamed of her house, I always think if my kitchen and bathroom are clean then any visitors wouldn't mind a book or paper left out,  I don't live in Buck House .
With those thoughts in mind  I am off to weald the carpet cleaner

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 December 22 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Have made efforts earlier years to have all done for the old year and clear as possible for the new, though generally I just think of it as starting afresh with good intentions, whether previous ones were kept up or not ;-)

Lovely Christmas with extended family during the day on Sunday hosted by great nephew in his new home with he and his wife catering very generously. Unfortunately his maternal grandparents, my older sister and brother-in-law, were unable to attend as b-i-l tested positive Christmas Eve … my sister too by Wednesday. Both a bit unwell but coping OK, live in a retirement village in own apartment and some family not too far away for errands etc, sister especially disappointed not to catch up with their 3 children and the grandchildren and family over this past week.

We made arrangements with oldest niece and her family for another get-together at our younger daughter's home midweek, an opportunity while they were holidaying from another city and to share some of the food we didn't need on Christmas Day when we eventually got back to our daughter's place for the evening meal. Really don't need or feel like much food in hot weather, great nephew being a big tech fan had a snow machine set up but that was more visual effect than cooling  in the heat of the day outside, though inside the house cool with the air conditioning and some shaded areas outdoors where the tables and chairs were, their new inground pool is heated but still refreshing for those who made the most of it.

Saw his mum, #2 niece and husband again midweek too at the get-together and my younger sister was able to join us that day with two of her granddaughters as well. It meant that my attendants at our wedding were all together and a rare chance for a group photo and in advance of our 50th anniversary a few weeks away and we're not planning a big 'do'. Younger sister was my bridesmaid and the 2 nieces were flowergirls, one of husband's brothers was best man and also living in another city meaning a bit of travel involved in getting all of us together at once.

Our older daughter up north we were staying with for a few days for an early Christmas with grandchildren last diary week, spent Christmas Eve to Tuesday with her husband's parents before they, nana and poppa, leave for extended holiday, then heard that husband's sister who had travelled up to be with family tested positive on Boxing day on returning home, so they're all on alert again. She has had covid previously and was quite sick earlier in the year, also the parents had it 6 months ago with heavy cold type symptoms but laid low with isolation.

Otherwise fairly regular week of activity and catching up with the diary for the week, like others this time of year working out what days are what in regard to refuse collections, what places are open or closed etc. … we have the Doc Martin Christmas special on mainstream free to air TV channel tonight, Friday, in NZ.
Lovely to read that Diana has what she wished for to get away to being with family and to meet up with wee new grandson, with that dreadful storm USA and Canada clearing enough eventually, seems Viktoria is also still soaking up some family time as well or getting over a memorable trip. 

Time now for a Happy New Year and my good wishes added to all for 2023

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 December 22 04:58 GMT (UK) »
I started tidying up my paperwork at 6 a.m. yesterday morning which involved  lots of different piles. I found some treasures :eg: a lovely letter from my late mother-in-law  I might send to her daughter (I'm separated from from the son) .
Had breakfast + a break because I tire so quickly talked to a neighbour who.  was going to the shops to buy light bulbs. I asked to go with .Due to my vertigo I prefer not to  walk alone anywhere . I decided to have brunch in cafe where I could  practice Makaton song .
Neighbour left me there .
 I'm so glad I left the tidying behind and went for brunch because I sat near someone from Norway who told me about a talk in January I'd like to attend .then a member of my bookcllub came in and had lunch at my table .then chatted to the person next  to me : turned out we'd talked on the phone when I was investigating the murder mystery in my alleyway . As a  criminologist and  actor who lives in the house murder victim Nora lived in .+ Whose sibling  is a walking encyclopaedia of local Leicester knowledge we had a lot to share . & The idea of a mini docu drama may become a reality + not a grandiose idea
.They both joined my Facebook page of history mysteries on the spot
2 friends picked me up  from cafe and brought me to  MESSY flat ,helped me change the sheets & lift heavy things  .I cleared some of the piles of papers & bags.  one bag was for them . altogether a much lovelier afternoon than if I'd finished tidying .
 I think karma was truly on my side
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson