Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 1st January 2023  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 1st January 2023
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 December 22 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Glad yesterday worked out so well for you Brigid, and sounds like Mare has had a lovely time too. :)

Regarding the old thoughts on The Bells, and what they bring for the year to come; I have learned in the past few days, there is a tradition that no house work should be done during the 12 days/nights between 25th December and 6th January to avoid losing last year's luck.  ???

I don't think I could manage without doing ANY washing or clearing up, but it is interesting to note that there are people who feel those "old ways" should still be observed.

I am sure it feels great to include a major spring clean in the pre Christmas preparations, and to know all cupboards and picture rails etc, are spic and span, but what didn't get done before, must now, for tradition's sake, wait until after 12th Night, when we can begin again with renewed vigour and not have to worry about disturbing malevolent spirits.

However, while I lived in Leicester in the middle 70s, I was instructed, that doing washing on NYE or NYD might "wash someone out of the family," and given I had an adored aged Granny at the time, I have adhered to that maxim ever since!!  Of course she did die eventually, but I wasn't guilty of washing her away!  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 December 22 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad yesterday worked out so well for you Brigid, and sounds like Mare has had a lovely time too. :)

Regarding the old thoughts on The Bells, and what they bring for the year to come; I have learned in the past few days, there is a tradition that no house work should be done during the 12 days/nights between 25th December and 6th January to avoid losing last year's luck.  ???

I don't think I could manage without doing ANY washing or clearing up, but it is interesting to note that there are people who feel those "old ways" should still be observed.

I am sure it feels great to include a major spring clean in the pre Christmas preparations, and to know all cupboards and picture rails etc, are spic and span, but what didn't get done before, must now, for traditions sake, wait until after 12th Night, when we can begin again with renewed vigour and not have to worry about disturbing malevolent spirits.

However, while I lived in Leicester in the middle 70s, I was instructed, that doing washing on NYE or NYD might "wash someone out of the family," and given I had an adored aged Granny at the time, I have adhered to that maxim ever since!!  Of course she did die eventually, but I wasn't guilty of washing her away!  ;)

I didn't do any laundry for 4 days and only did one load on the 5th day.  Laundry basket was not just full but piled up and overflowing onto the floor.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 December 22 08:37 GMT (UK) »
My maternal family are from the East Midlands and I will not do washing on New Years Day, supposedly will wash away good fortune for the year ahead. Didn’t know about New Year’s Eve though - oops!

I hope you’re now feeling better Mowsehowse. Sounds like yesterday turned into a lovely day Brigid, I think when things aren’t planned ages ahead they are sometimes more enjoyable.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 December 22 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you PineTree. 
I think I got off fairly lightly.... all the vaccinations I suppose. 
It has left me a bit tired, but could be worse, no doubt. What does worry me is the effect it has had on my balance, which was compromised after the stroke, so I am praying it improves again.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 December 22 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Mowsr thanks for the contradictory traditions of luck guess which one i.ll chose next year !

There was a really bad occurance on the weds before Xmas in the household attached to mine

I refuse to associate it with anything anyone did wrong or bad luck or evil and tend to think some good will come out of unhappiness and it has already b
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 December 22 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Whatever superstitions follow us through our time it is interesting hearing the different versions,    no housework till 6th Jan, not sure about that but sometimes I wish a little elf would sneak in and do mine

12th night the decorations come down and that is probably why a spring clean is meant to be done ,

Since I had Covid first 2 weeks in November I have not felt right at all,  I have no energy, not sure if it is post  covid or not but my got up and go has got up and went, ( can't think who wrote that)  and I don't like it at all,  I have been diagnosed with gout in my little finger still  giving  me a lot of pain, and don't joke  about drink, I don't drink very much at all.

Take care everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 December 22 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I think it's very likely that it's the post Covid effects causing your lack of energy LM. I felt like I was twenty years older after recovering in other ways but the energy levels do increase over time so don't be too worried. Use the energy you have to do more enjoyable things than housework!  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 December 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roobard.
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 December 22 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't contribute to this topic but, has anyone else noticed the year is 2023 - where has all that time gone to?.
It's twenty three years since the "Millenium".
It's a very long time since I arrived in this world, it's a long time since I met my wife to be and it's also a long time since we, and still are, married- to each other I hasten to add.
I was thinking of asking the council for a blue plaque to be placed in the car park which is now on the site of the cinema where we met!.  8)
Anyway - a very happy, peaceful and healthy 2023 to you all.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".