Author Topic: Drayton Beauchamp parish records  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Drayton Beauchamp parish records
« on: Monday 26 December 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for years, in vain, for the family of Sarah Mead, who was born circa 1775 at Drayton Beauchamp, as appears consistently in census records as her birthplace. I think she may fit with the family of Edmund and Elizabeth Mead, who had two children baptised in Drayton in 1772 and 1783. They had a daughter Sarah baptised in 1779 at Buckland, a short distance from Drayton. One son, Michael, later lived in Aylesbury, where Sarah settled with her husband, so I think I am on the right path. Elizabeth Mead died in 1801 and was buried at Drayton. I have only managed to find the baptisms of the three children through Find My Past indexes, as records don't exist anywhere else. I am willing to subscribe to anything which has Buckinghamshire parish registers but none of the internet resources include Drayton. My only option appears to be a research service through the Buckinghamshire Record Office, which is very expensive per look-up, and I don't have dates for anyone aside from these baptisms. I'm not sure where Edmund and Elizabeth originated, which makes it hard to put together the missing pieces of this family.

Any advice or assistance to find information without spending a fortune would be most welcome!
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drayton Beauchamp parish records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 22 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Bucks FHS:

https://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/research2

Where you can get a
Search for every reference to a surname for any 100 year period:
£3

£3 for all the Mead entries could be money well spent!
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 22 22:38 GMT (UK) »
That sounds quite reasonable. I shall investigate that option! Many thanks  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 23 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I have only managed to find the baptisms of the three children through Find My Past indexes, as records don't exist anywhere else. I am willing to subscribe to anything which has Buckinghamshire parish registers but none of the internet resources include Drayton. My only option appears to be a research service through the Buckinghamshire Record Office, which is very expensive per look-up, and I don't have dates for anyone aside from these baptisms.

familysearch.org have the Bishop's Transcripts. They are digitised, but can only be viewed at an LDS library or associate library, and not at home as many films can be.
If you could get to one of those, you could browse the whole film. (My local city library is classed as an 'affiliate library'. You could try your local library).
Film number 8902085, items 4 & 5, so it doesn't sound as though it's a huge film to wade through.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 23 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, there is a Family History Centre in my area, though their opening hours conflict with my work times, that is an excellent option.