Author Topic: Robertson family of Perthshire  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson family of Perthshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 01:46 GMT (UK) »
The disposal list states "gone with sister to Bendigo" for Margaret, no ditto for Susan who is on the line below.  I think you really need to be careful about assuming relationships from the limited information on immigration records.  "gone with sister" could refer to Susan or could be a sister who has come to meet the ship and lives in Bendigo.

Debra  :D

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 01:57 GMT (UK) »

Geelong Advertiser 30 Apr 1875 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/148775647?
..........Peter ROBERTSON, Barrabool Hills, leaving for Riverina...."Farewell to Ballangeich"

How have you found origins for Peter ROBERTSON ~ 1825 Perthshire?

Are you using information from another researcher's work?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 02:32 GMT (UK) »
That is the Peter in my reply #14.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how many birth certs you have for Susan's children but I would be getting all of them in the hope that at least one gives something more for Susan's birthplace other than just Perthshire.  There are a number of newspaper mentions when she died in December 1906, but all just say Perthshire.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help - unfortunately today I had to go to work.

I am trying to locate where the Robertson's lived in Perthshire, and find out anything I can about Donald and Annie Robertson. I'm hoping to find them on a census.

In regards to the "Tasman" passenger list, I have attached screenshots for Catherine Robertson, Peter Robinson and Donald and Jane Robinson. It's been suggested that they are all Robertson's, but how likely is it when they could all read and write but surname different and different birth places listed?

If this Peter Robinson, is the Peter Robertson that married Annie Wright Anderson, then his parents are Peter Robertson and Ann Fisher, not Donald and Annie. I've just realised that I assumed he was the brother of Susan Robertson because of surname and brother in law to James Anderson. In fact, he is also brother in law to James through his wife, Annie Anderson... so in effect, we just need to find Donald, Annie, Catherine and Susan on a census.

I hope this makes sense, its 1am and it's been a long day :)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how many birth certs you have for Susan's children but I would be getting all of them in the hope that at least one gives something more for Susan's birthplace other than just Perthshire.  There are a number of newspaper mentions when she died in December 1906, but all just say Perthshire.

Just bought Annie Robertson Ching's and Charles Cottle Ching's birth certificates. Both have Susan Robertson's birthplace as Perthshire, Scotland :(

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Re Census.

See my Reply #12 above for a Catherine whom I believe to be yours - living with her younger brother Charles.

Ann Robertson, 65, independent widow, born Perthshire, is in "Newtyle Cottage or Deans Cross", parish of Caputh, in the 1841 census. I am unsure from the transcription whether or not she is in a household of her own, but a look at the original document will clarify that.

In 1851 a Susan Robertson, 19, born Caputh, is a servant in the household of Margaret Shaw, farmer, at Finegand in Glen Shee (parish of Kirkmichael, Perthshire). However there is a Susan Robertson, aged 9, in the household of Charles Robertson at Milltown of Dalrulzian, parish of Caputh, in 1841, so it may be that there were two Susan Robertsons of similar age, both born in Caputh.

There are also a Margaret R, aged 13 and a Susan R, aged 8, in the household of yet another Charles Robertson in the parish of Logierait in 1841. Could one or both of them be a niece rather than a daughter of this Charles R?

FWIW it looks to me as if Donald Robertson had died before the 1841 census and the family had split up.

I wonder why Catherine didn't name one of her sons Donald after her father?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Re Census.

There are also a Margaret R, aged 13 and a Susan R, aged 8, in the household of yet another Charles Robertson in the parish of Logierait in 1841. Could one or both of them be a niece rather than a daughter of this Charles R?  ....

I wonder why Catherine didn't name one of her sons Donald after her father?

This is a screenshot of the census. Would this imply Margaret is a farm servant, not necessarily a daughter of the household? I noticed this family is at Brae  .. a link perhaps to Susan's daughters living at "Braeholm" or am I clutching at straws lol???

In regards to the name Donald - neither Susan or Catherine used Donald for their children.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Margaret 13 is recorded in that census as a servant.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)