Author Topic: House lost in Kings Court - looking for details - 294 Upper Richmond Road  (Read 374 times)

Offline ozmcfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
House lost in Kings Court - looking for details - 294 Upper Richmond Road
« on: Tuesday 27 December 22 06:01 GMT (UK) »
A long shot but I've turned up nothing in my search of online records and newspapers.

294 Upper Richmond Road, Mortlake (or East Sheen), also known as part of Red Lodge.

My great grandmother, Elizabeth Ryan (nee Bateman) (1821-1903) and her husband James Ryan (1818-1862) of the Met Police moved into this house in the 1850s. Their daughter Frances Searle (1849-1921) inherited and my grandmother Elsie Searle was born and raised there.

In the late 1920s, early 1930s a man named Hunt(?) bought out the other residents of the cottages (including a family named Bundy) planning to build a garage but my grandparents believed they had a case (99year lease?) and went to court, taking it all the way to Kings Court. Grandad (known as Jack Sullivan or O'Sullivan) had a sarcastic tongue on him and kept the court in hysterics and apparently this made the papers a number of times but he was warned to stop or the case would be thrown out. Ultimately  this is what happened and they lost everything. Sotheby's (?) took all the furnishings and paintings from my mother's home (she was also born there in 1920).

I did see an image at some stage of the Red cottages being advertised when they were new but can find nothing about any of the sales.

Can anyone point me to available resources? I'm in Australia so can't physically visit libraries.

Any information would be appreciated.

Around the same time my grandparents lost their only son in a surgical accident in the children's hospital (Denis O'Sullivan - or Sullivan - c1924-1931).

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: House lost in Kings Court - looking for details - 294 Upper Richmond Road
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 07:25 GMT (UK) »
JUDGE GIVES “UNSATISFACTORY JUDGEMENT”
SINGULAR ACTION IN CHANCERY DIVISION

Mr Justice Maugham, in the Chancery Division on Tuesday, gave, in a remarkable case, judgement which he had hinted at a previous hearing would be “unsatisfactory to both parties”.
The case was that in which Mr Ernest Hunt, of Columbia Garage, Upper Richmond Road, sought an injunction to restrain Mr and Mrs J. Sullivan, also of Upper Richmond Road, from: Keeping the front door bolted; placing obstructions on the staircase or landing leading to his rooms; and keeping an fierce dog on the premises unless under proper control.
It was stated that Mr and Mrs Sullivan were the tenants of the house adjoining the garage, and that Mr Hunt, who owned the freehold of the house, occupied some rooms for business purposes.
Mr Hunt complained that Mr and Mrs Sullivan bolted the front door against him, placed on the stairs timber and furniture over which he had fallen when trying to get to his rooms, and allowed a fierce dog to roam about the house.
The allegations were denied by Mr and Mrs Sullivan, who said the timber on the landing belonged to Mr Hunt and was placed there by his orders. Mr Hunt had neglected to keep the front door in repair and the dog, which was a ‘harmless mongrel’ and the playmate of children’ had since been given away.
Mr Justice Maugham who said the parties were unable to take a neighbour like view of their obligations, held that Mr Hunt was entitled to an injunction to restrain Mr and Mrs Sullivan from obstructing the staircase, but he refused to grant an injunction in respect of the bolted door or the dog, as he said that a case had not been made out on these two points. Judgement was entered accordingly.

28 July 1928, Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer

Modified to add, there is a slightly more colourful version in Richmond Herald 28 July 1928
only real additional info is that Mr Sullivan is a 'jobbing gardener"

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Richmond Herald 23 April 1927

has a nice description of the Columbia Garage (for advertising purposes so perhaps a little gilded).

The Columbia Garage has advertisements from 1924

Richmond Herald 01 May 1926.  "Development of the District, A Problem Solved"
a fairly long piece describing the resistance of un-named tenants of the cottages, but that the problem had now been sold by the building of flats. Then a description of the flats and how superior they are to the cottages.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 08:02 GMT (UK) »
The article that mckha transcribed was also in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday,  July 25, 1928.

This is available free to view if you have an Australian National Library Card (some of the State Libraries have access too - not sure which State you are in). The library card gives you access to their eresources which include Gale Primary Sources. This database includes British Library Newspapers (which includes among many others The Daily Telegraph).

Modified to add:
Another article about the case:
Saturday,  July 21, 1928
Publication: The Daily Telegraph

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 08:16 GMT (UK) »
For interest - is this the son of Ernest HUNT?

"COELACANTH MAN IS MISSING
SCHOONER WRECKED
Daily Telegraph Reporter
  Capt. Eric Hunt, 42, who was associated with the finding of the coelacanth, the "living fossil" caught off the island of Anjouan, near Madagascar, in December, 1952, is missing. His schooner Hiariako, 150 tons, was wrecked earlier this month on the Geyser reef, off Madagascar.
  Five of the crew in one boat reached the Comoro Islands, but Capt. Hunt and two others in a smaller boat have not been heard of since. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hunt, of Fife Road, East Sheen, Surrey, have just had a cable from Capt. Hunt's wife giving them the news."

Friday,  May 25, 1956

A few reports about this event - apparently it involved Archbishop Makarios of Cyprus and his exile in the Seychelles.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the 1893 OS Town Plan showing the cottages at Columbia Square.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101202051#zoom=5&lat=2304&lon=4110&layers=BT

and here is Columbia Square in 1933, showing the garages:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103313776#zoom=6&lat=10778&lon=7578&layers=BT
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ozmcfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 11:57 GMT (UK) »
You are amazing! I'd love to dig into this a bit more and might have to renew my state library card if papers are available there (Brisbane). How are you all able to come up with information so quickly? Is it through genealogy site subscriptions with newspapers? I've looked before and turned up nothing.

My mother never mentioned having a dog - her mother did have Persians so I can't imagine a mongrel in the mix.

Offline ozmcfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 12:14 GMT (UK) »
For interest - is this the son of Ernest HUNT?
His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hunt, of Fife Road, East Sheen, Surrey, have just had a cable from Capt. Hunt's wife giving them the news."

Friday,  May 25, 1956

It certainly sounds like it - name and location. Another family tale is Irish Jack Sullivan was said to have cursed Hunt. This Jack Sullivan needs more digging...