Author Topic: Baxter Family - Motherwell, Wishaw  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Anniebc44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baxter Family - Motherwell, Wishaw
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 January 23 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi.Robert’s daughter has taken a DNA

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi.Robert’s daughter has taken a DNA
It would be helpful if you could tell us what the 5 highest matches Robert's daughter has with Scottish links, surnames/dates/places, highest cMs, % shared, amount of segments & predicted relationships?
Has she been able to work out her paternal side & use shared matches to help identify her origins?

It may be helpful to try the LEEDS method...https://www.danaleeds.com/the-leeds-method/

I find it incredible the Kennedy family were able to tell Robert who his father was but not who his mother was. They were friends, you'd expect they knew each others' wives' names, rather sad  :(

There's a lot of questions which seem to have been ignored along the way e.g. when did Andrew Baxter arrive at the Kennedy's, when did the Kennedy's emigrate, do you have any/all of them on passenger lists, what info. is given?

A Timeline would be helpful as there's so much info. spread over different threads.

Might this be a possible marriage...

BAXTER ANDREW / BURNS MARGARET - 1886
644 / 3 / 306 DENNISTOUN (Glasgow)

Annie

Add - I've just noticed, Margaret BURNS has another surname...

BAXTER ANDREW / COWAN MARGARET - 1886
644 / 3 / 306 DENNISTOUN

There are at least 3 reasons I can think of for having 2 surnames, the obvious 1 being she may have previously been married although that info. would only be available on viewing the MC.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Anniebc44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. The Leeds method looks very good

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The Leeds method looks very good
You have continually ignored questions which have been asked of us who have been willing to help & seem to have ignored any help offered.

Without answers whether you have them or not, ignoring them isn't helpful to us, nobody knows what you have/don't have, don't know what info. to look for, where or when etc.

Good luck with the Leeds method.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Anniebc44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I apologise if it appears I have not published findings. I am awaiting DNA results from Robert’s daughter.
Having treatment at the moment and recovering from a heart attack and cerebral haemorrhage , therefore i am trying to re programme my brain to concentrate and connect things together.
The messages and information has been a lifeline to me, but it is difficult then to put it all together, but trying 100%.
Again, apologises for my lack of response but I would like to assure all correspondence received it very grateful and i thank all those involved.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the key to this is to get your hands on one or more of the American documents, if possible

- the birth record of Robert Burns Baxter, to see if it names his mother
- the marriage records of Robert Burns Baxter Kennedy, to see what they say about his father and especially his mother
- the death record of his mother

Without that information we will only be able to speculate on this side of the Atlantic about the identity of his father.

Is there a genealogical society in that part of Tennessee or Alabama or wherever it was that might be able to help?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 19:33 GMT (UK) »
recovering from a heart attack and cerebral haemorrhage , therefore i am trying to re programme my brain to concentrate and connect things together.
The messages and information has been a lifeline to me, but it is difficult then to put it all together, but trying 100%.
Annie, I'm really sorry to hear of your health issues & wish you a speedy recovery!

I admit, I get frustrated when valuable questions are ignored on any query.

However, it's essential when there's so much mystery, a Timeline is drawn up which helps everyone see what happened when & where.

Your opening post states...

"Robert Burns Baxter, born in USA, maybe Alabama 1888/89
His father ? Andrew arrived at the home in USA of a fellow mining engineer (friends from Scotland) Mr and Mrs Kennedy"

The USA is a massive place, where did the Kennedy's live when Andrew Baxter arrived at their home, when did this occur & where had Andrew Baxter been living prior to arriving 'at the home' of Mr Kennedy?

You need to put all known info. into context in order, names/dates/places for others to help, otherwise it's a wild goose chase.

Hopefully the DNA test will give some positive clues.

Annie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Wishing you a good recovery  :) You are doing so well with it all. I am sure that a lot of info has been spoken of in general terms and there may not be hard documented facts to back it up.

Fingers crossed that the DNA results can open some doors.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Both Robert's marriages are indexed on FamilySearch. There must, somewhere, be actual records of the marriages?

On the other thread, both brides' parents' names are given, but not whatever names Robert himself put on his marriage certificates.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.