Author Topic: Baxter Family - Motherwell, Wishaw  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Anniebc44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baxter Family - Motherwell, Wishaw
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 22 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for helping me with my search. Robert’s daughter tells the story of what he was told as a young man, that his father was Baxter, worker with Kennedy as a mining engineer in Scotland then came to USA, his wife died following Robert’s birth and Baxter gave him to Kennedy to raise…..but again I hit a brick wall. There is no Birth record for him and no apparent Death Of his mother.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 22 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I wonder where Motherwell & Wishaw come in? Baxter is not a common name in this part of Lanarkshire, I have checked what cemetery records I have for Motherwell and Wishaw and there is no mention of a Baxter & Burns link anywhere.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 22 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Interesting statement in the FindaGrave bio of James Kennedy, that he and Andrew Baxter trained at the Edinburgh School of Engineering. That is now part of the University of Edinburgh.

In 1861 James Kennedy, 19, student at Edinburgh University, is listed in the census as born in what looks like Benares, India. However as the one we are interested in is listed in the 1880 US census as born in Scotland, it may not be the right James Kennedy.

Also, I can't see an Andrew Baxter in Edinburgh in 1861.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 December 22 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at James Kennedy (trying to find a link to Andrew Baxter).

There is a family listed on the 1851 Census at Reid Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow which look to fit with the James Kennedy from his Findagrave entry.

Peter Britten   aged 78   Head  Married   Labourer Farmer when Able    Born Ireland
Agnes Duffey   aged 67   Wife  Married   Labourer's Wife                           Ireland
Mary Kennedy  aged 34   Dau  Widowed  Powerloom Weaver                     Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
James Kennedy aged  9    Son               Scholar                                      Bothwell
Patrick Kennedy aged 7    Son                At Home                                    Bothwell
John Kennedy    aged 5    Son                 At Home                                  Bothwell
Mary Kennedy    aged 1    Dau                                                                Bothwell

If this is the James Kennedy who later emigrates to USA, I wonder if he did study Engineering :-\ His background appears to be very humble. Apologies if I'm wrong.
Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 December 22 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm actually wondering when engineering became an academic discipline rather than a straightforward apprenticeship, and also wondering if there was a formal School of Engineering in Edinburgh or anywhere else in the 1850s and 1860s.

Also, James K was only 20 when he married Euphemia Storrie, which was unusually young for a working man to marry. Would he have been qualified at that age?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 December 22 19:02 GMT (UK) »

Related thread on the USA board..........................

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868748.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 December 22 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder where Motherwell & Wishaw come in?

To answer your question, Lodger. This thread by Annie had been started at the end of this very old thread here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=518028.0

One of the mods kindly separated this new thread by Annie and created a new one so that Annie's request for info would be better reviewed. The old headline was carried through...and there is the reason why!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 December 22 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm actually wondering when engineering became an academic discipline rather than a straightforward apprenticeship, and also wondering if there was a formal School of Engineering in Edinburgh or anywhere else in the 1850s and 1860s.

Also, James K was only 20 when he married Euphemia Storrie, which was unusually young for a working man to marry. Would he have been qualified at that age?

I've taken a look at the marriage registration for James Kennedy - he gives his age as 21.
The marriage is on Hogmanay 31st Dec 1862 at Dykehead, Shotts
James's address is Dykehead as is his bride Euphemia Storrie's.
James's occupation is Coalminer.
Euphemia was a dairymaid and she was unable to sign the register. Her cross has been witnessed.

I wonder if Andrew Baxter could be a workmate from this time.

Looby :)

Offline Anniebc44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 January 23 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for assisting me on this web site and researching possible avenues.
Annie