Author Topic: Ancestor born in a barn near Chinnor 1717  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ancestor born in a barn near Chinnor 1717
« on: Tuesday 27 December 22 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing a possible ancestor named Elizabeth Doyley, who married Samuel Ginger at Chinnor in 1734 (both say they were of that parish but married by licence. My Samuel was from Stone in Bucks.). I have narrowed a birth for her down to an Elizabeth Dowley, baptised 7 April 1717 at Chinnor. Written in Latin, I have translated it as: "Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Dowley of Woolwich in the county of Kent born in a barn of Richard King (senior?) of Hinton."

I can't find anyone by the name of Dowley in the region but a lot of families named Doyley in Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. I can't find anyone in Kent or London that is a match with Thomas but I have very little to go on. On Elizabeth's marriage she is recorded as Doyley. I may have the wrong person, however, I am curious as to why she was born in Richard King's barn! I have access to Ancestry and have looked through the Oxon PRs but I'm not sure if I'm on track.

Any advice or assistance will be gratefully received. Thank you  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor born in a barn near Chinnor 1717
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
"Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Dowley of Woolwich in the county of Kent born in a barn of Richard King (senior?) of Hinton."

Looks like Senr to me too. There is a will for a Richard King, yeoman, of Henton, which was proved in 1722. Within the document, he mentions his son Richard King, who would presumably have been known as Richard King Jr. Cannot find an obvious connection between Richard King and Thomas.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Queenie. I too tried the King angle but got nowhere. If they were friends, or family, would this poor woman have been left to give birth in a barn and not invited into the house? Perhaps they were travelling through and were strangers. It is quite mysterious!
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 22 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like they were passing through.Have you tried looking for settlement records, either at the Kent or Oxfordshire end, as the parishes may have communicated with each other,  or parish relief in Oxfordshire?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion, I will see what I am able to access online for Kent and Oxfordshire.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
End of year whimsy. I'm wondering whether your ancestor is the origination for the phrase which greets somebody entering a room who always leaves the door open  :o

Close the door behind you - were you born in a barn!? ;D

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
That may be so!  ;D