Author Topic: Was there a Village called Lleimedig ?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline bazlynda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was there a Village called Lleimedig ?
« on: Wednesday 28 December 22 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I'm in the process of going through my Grandmothers diaries and formatting them to be printed into book form.
It has been an enjoyable read - especially as I link up her memories with my expanding ancestry.com family tree.
One section has us all puzzled.
She talks about her fond memories of visiting her Fathers Grandmothers Village around 1919, where everybody present was a relative.
She describes the long train journey (from Durham), and getting off at a station with an unpronounceable name for her (she was 12). Then a long walk (for miles?) in the dark to the village.
She calls the village Lleimedig in her handwritten notes, and claims it is not far from Llongollan.

I assume she has misspelled Llangollen?.
As a result, I am sure she has also misspelled LLeimedig.
Does anyone know of a past village in Wales with a similar name to Lleimedig ?.

My ancestry tree shows that the Grandmother being referred to is either

1) Elizabeth Pierce (1837-1895), with parents George Pierce (1808-1873) and Mary Edwards Lloyd (1803-1876) .   All of these family members were born in St Martins, Shropshire.

2) Jane Davies (b.30Jun1820) , with parents John Dafyd Robert Davies and Catherine Davies.  All of these members and their siblings were born in Angelsey.

So I can narrow the strange village name down to either St Martin's (which I assume is the most likely location given that it is close to Llangollen?) or Angelsey ?

Does anyone recognise the name? Or has she completely got the name wrong?

Thanks for your help!
Barry

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was there a Village called Lleimedig ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Llanymynech?
Some way away from St Martins though.
Ray

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 22 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I grew up in the area and went to school in Llangollen but I can't recognise a place with that form of letters or pronunciation.  I assume it's Llan <something>.

Is it possible to scan and put up the part of her notes that gives the place and description?  It might help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 22 14:02 GMT (UK) »
A quick thought - the nearest to it would be Pontfadog but it's a very big guess! 

I'll keep thinking and looking for it.

add - or Eglwyseg  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 22 15:49 GMT (UK) »
The best that I can offer is Pontfadog on the north side of the River Ceiriog.  This means Madog's bridge. It is a steep climb over a finger of the Berwyns from there to Llangollen. I wouldn't like to do it now but I did the walk quite a few times when young.

The area is adjacent to the St Martins parish and close to Bronygarth and Offa's Dyke.  From memory, their is a story of a group of young Welsh  men attacking the English around the Bronygarth/Pontfadog area and Meibion  comes to mind. Meibion meas sons in Welsh. I'll have to look up some of my books. The word might be formed from Meibion and Madog.

This is just a thought of what your Grandmother might have interpreted it as.

I'll get my books down later and see if I can find more.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 22 15:51 GMT (UK) »
PS - I forgot to attach a map link of the area:

https://tinyurl.com/28sf9fbw

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 22 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm just trying to follow Elizabeth back to her family so that I can home in on a place! 

Is this correct:

In 1841, George and Mary Pierce plus Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth and Richard were living in Pen y Maes, Bronygarth

Elizabeth married John Parry  on 18 Oct 1859 in St Martins. Both were in the Weston Rhyn Tithing (ie the western part of the parish which included Bronygarth).

Did the Parry's remain in that area and one of their offspring moved to Co. Durham? Coincidentally some of mine did to.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I've found an online tree which includes the Parry family. This includes an Ann Parry b. 1868, St Martins and dying Sept Q 1928, Easington, Co. Durham.

From further information, her married name was  Ann Travis. No marriage details.

Also  found a daughter, Mabel Mary

Is this your ancestor?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 22 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Think that I've found the correct place  - Caemeddigg*

https://tinyurl.com/bdm9d3dr

* pronounced   Ky meth ig maybe mis-understood as ly med ig

PS - cae means field and (via Google) meddigg means doctor - why didn't I think of that ;D