Author Topic: Scope of 1921 census  (Read 754 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scope of 1921 census
« on: Thursday 29 December 22 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I was under the impression that the 1921 census on FindMyPast just covered England and Wales.
FindMyPast says on their website: 
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/family-records/1921-census

"Taken on June 19 1921 after being delayed by two months due to industrial unrest, the 1921 Census saw over 38,000 enumerators dispatched to every corner of England and Wales to capture the details of more than 38 million people. This included over 8.5 million households as well as all manner of public and private institutions ranging from prisons and military bases to public schools and workhouses."

It does mention military bases in the above, but my assumption was that they would only be the ones in England and Wales.
But to my surprise I found my great uncle in the army in India on the census. But no sign of his wife and son, who would be about 5 years old. So did the census strictly apply to the military personnel overseas and not their families who lived with them.?

I have another relative who was overseas in the army in 1911 and his wife is included with him. So it looks like families were include 10 years earlier.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scope of 1921 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 22 19:10 GMT (UK) »
So did the census strictly apply to the military personnel overseas and not their families who lived with them.?

That is my understanding.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk