Author Topic: Help needed to identify Elizabeth English  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify Elizabeth English
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 December 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, thanks very much for that.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 December 22 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Morning All,

I've just looked at the family memorial notice mentioned from 1941 and the names on that all help add weight to her being the same person.

I also made a new search on Richard's name and found lots of stories about him - wife beating, drunkenness, gambling. I now have a very different picture of Mary's second marriage and her life in general. It's really brought them both to life.

Thanks for all the help.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 January 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1900&qtr=3&vol=10b&page=416&search=search

Marriage Locator indicates the marriage took place at Holy Trinity.
If I can get to the library before you in the next few weeks I could look it up for you.  But if you do manage to get there first let us know it has been found.
I think the brief details (including date) will be in one of the volumes on the shelves.  This will then make it easier and faster to find the full entry on microfilm.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 23 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi RTL,

Thanks a lot for that, I'm sure that will make it much easier to find.

I'll let you know if I get it.

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 January 23 19:07 GMT (UK) »
By the way, you may have already checked this out, but if Richard was convicted for anything during the earlier years of the last century he may feature in the criminal mugshot album at the archives.  These photos are very good and there are tons of them; the album is huge!

Also I would add that one day, it might be worth going to the archives to check out the workhouse records.  When I first started doing family history I used to think only the destitute went in but now it seems to me that any ill working class people in the area might have gone in. 
The Creed registers are useful in finding out quickly who went in and the Medical Officers reports give info about what illness or medical problem the person had.  The Tynemuth Workhouse/Preston Hospital death registers from 1896-5 January 1949 give cause of death.
I know though getting to the Archives is a much more difficult process these days as the catalogue is still not back online, and there is a booking system for appointments and things have to be pre-ordered in advance. 
But is worth keeping in mind that these records might yield more family history information (for you or anyone with ancestors in the Tynemouth registration district - many of us probably have ancestors who might have felt desperate enough to seek this help if affording a doctor would not have been easy) when it might be possible one day to go.
The last time I went to the archives I was surprised to find my Dad's step Grandfather (a miner) had gone in Tynemouth Workhouse Hospital with bronchitis.  He must have travelled all the way from Dudley, Northumberland where they were living to try to get help.  Sadly, I know from his death notice he died not long after.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot, I'll bear it in mind but as you say it's extremely difficult for me to get in there especially now that you have to book a week in advance and specify what you want to look at.

I have a list of things I want to look at but it's been at least two years since I last managed to get in.

One to add to the list though.

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 January 23 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I have an appointment this month coming up to look at some pre-ordered items.
I will try to look at the index book to see if someone of Richard's name is listed then at least you will know if he might be in the album.  If he is in the album  you would likely be able to cross reference with any write up in the newspaper. I know where this index book of names is kept on the shelf at least (although I won't be able to check out the album because of the pre ordering requirement). 
I am on tenterhooks hoping my appointment will go ahead as planned - I realise a spanner could get thrown in the works .. such as if I suddenly developed covid or if I suddenly get called in to work on the day.  Oh for the days when you could just turn up and order down what you needed.
Last time I was there I asked how long things are going to go on like this and how long the catalogue is expected to remain down but answers could not be given so it seems like this state of affairs is to be indefinite, unfortunately. :-\
I don't understand it as the North Shields local studies and the one at Newcastle have long since gone back to normal and people have always sat on separate tables even in the past when ordering things down.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 January 23 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage:

Holy Trinity
Entry 234
4 September 1900
Richard Wright & Mary English
Bachelor & Widow
His age 22 Her age 28
Labourer
His residence: 23 Front Street, Milburn Place
Her residence: 17 Front Street, Milburn Place
Fathers:
Morton Wright - Boiler Maker
Thomas Hall - Shipwright
Both bride and groom signed names
Witnesses: Both signed their marks
John (Flass/Plass/Glass?)
Jane E. Gascoigne
By banns

I am afraid the only Wrights having photos in the Mugshots Album are:

Collingwood Wright
John Wright (alias Thomas Johnson)
Robert Wright
Jenny Wright

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 January 23 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi RTL,

That is great but also a bit disappointing.

The marriage information is a huge help and helps confirm a few things I'd been 80% sure of.

The sad bit is Collingwood Wright is a brother who I thought had stayed out of trouble - obviously not. Sounds like I have more work to do.

Thanks very much for the help,

Michael