Author Topic: Locating a birth record from Bradford in mid nineteenth century  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a birth record from Bradford in mid nineteenth century
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 December 22 12:20 GMT (UK) »

Basically, I am wondering if I can look through all the Bradford birth certs for a specific birth date of Sept 24th, as that is the only thing I am sure of.

Birth Registrations are not in order of birthdate, but in order of registration date.

Registration was anything upto 6 weeks after the birth, so that would be a huge number of certificates to look through, comprising the end of the third quarter and half of the 4th quarter -- for each year you want to search
The public are not usually granted access to the Registers and I very much doubt the Registrar's staff would have time to do such a vague search.

What you can do is use a site such as freeBMD to search the for registration in Bradford in these time periods

Searching "William Richardson" born Bradford 1860 - 1870 brings up just 2 entries, both 1861

The same search for "William Whitehead" brings up 8 entries throughout the decade.

You would have to do further research on each of these people to see if one of them is your William

Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 December 22 12:37 GMT (UK) »
After 1 January 1875
Parents had 42 days Only to Register a Birth or be Fined
As stated above that could take a Registration into the following Quarter but still had to be within 42 days of what was stated as the Birth to be recorded on the Birth Certificate as the BirthDate
Which doesn't mean that was the Truth of the Birth Date.
I have a Relative Registered in August on the 42nd day
Mother declared Son Daniel was born late June Deadline day so that was Recorded as The Truth
But the Priest Baptised him 20 May and Recorded So in Consecutive Baptism Register
 noting that he was Born on 1st May
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 December 22 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Your reply 8 refers to “your client”. Are you a professional researcher who charges a fee for research?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline emilywilsonmcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 22 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes my client is the granddaughter of William Whitehead Richardson who I am trying to find. We've exhausted all the avenues trying to find his parents over the past 6 months so wondering if anyone had any new inspiration.

I am thinking because he was born 1865/67 then we might have just missed him with it not becoming a chargeable offence until 1870s.

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Trying another angle, in the other thread someone mentioned finding the birth of an Amy Richardson Whitehead in Southport in 1880, which seemed a bit of a coincidence: had there been some surname-swapping going on?

She can be found in the 1881 and 1891 censuses with her mother and various siblings (also, I think, grandmother in 1881). Can any of them be found in 1901 or later, in case they might give a lead to finding more on the missing Amy?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes I tracked that Amy, and her family, but in her daughter's birth certificates and marriage certificates she puts her maiden name as Waters. Her daughter also described her as a 'great Irish beauty' but not sure where Ireland comes in, given birth was in Southport.

Someone had suggested that William took Amy's name instead but that still leaves Waters unsolved.

I know that William was definitely going by William Whitehead Richardson by 1898 as he was using patents under that name.

Daughter 1 was born in 1901 so they were in Singapore around 1900, meaning we miss them in the census.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I should add there is an Amy Elizabeth Waters born in Southport (Ormskirk) 1879 but she appears to have died in the next year or so. I found her family in the censuses, but she doesn't appear with them at all so I do think that Amy Waters died.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:25 GMT (UK) »
You say on your other post

1915 - They move to Bolivia. Ship lists. Daughters stay in England.

Who were the daughters living with or were they at School
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Daughters in 1911 Census living with the Stone family at Brewster House, Doddington, Sittingbourne, Kent.

William Cooper Stone, 62, b. Isle of Wight, postmaster pensioner
Mary Stone, 61, b. Guildford. Nee Donnelly
Georgina Amy Stone, 32, b. Guildford.
Dorothy Amy Richardson, 10, b. Confederated Malay States Singapore Resident
Gladys Richardson, 7, b. Confederated Malay States Resident

Stones appear to be just friends, not family. This was confirmed by the daughter of Gladys.