Author Topic: Reading of 1791/92 Marriage Entry  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Reading of 1791/92 Marriage Entry
« on: Saturday 31 December 22 02:29 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to hear what the gentlefolk of these here parts make of this marriage register entry from the 24th February 1791 or 92 (year is unclear). In particular, the parts I have labeled with a "?" below.
A very unusual register entry, in that the name of the bride precedes that of the groom.
My reading, translated to English, is

Anna Magil,  James? ditto (father's name), of (blank) & Patrick (or Peter?) Crane of
Raheenaske, witnesses  ? Redmond, ? Laffin, & Thomas Donnolly,
at the house of her brother ? Magil.

The full register page can be seen at
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634089#page/47/mode/1up
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reading of 1791/92 Marriage Entry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 22 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I agree in principle with what you have.

I think it is Patri(cius) Crane, as the second letter is clearly a.

The first names of both witnesses, Redmond and Laffin, begin with N. Probably an abbreviated Nicholas. But the second one is abbreviated differently, so could it be Niall (or a variant)?

I think the Magil brother, in whose house they were married, begins with R – could be an abbreviated Radulphi (= Ralph), or Ricardi (= Richard), or Roberti (= Robert), but I’m really not sure.

Can any of these people be identified anywhere else in the same register?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I agree in principle with what you have.

I think it is Patri(cius) Crane, as the second letter is clearly a.

The first names of both witnesses, Redmond and Laffin, begin with N. Probably an abbreviated Nicholas. But the second one is abbreviated differently, so could it be Niall (or a variant)?

I think the Magil brother, in whose house they were married, begins with R – could be an abbreviated Radulphi (= Ralph), or Ricardi (= Richard), or Roberti (= Robert), but I’m really not sure.

Can any of these people be identified anywhere else in the same register?

Thanks, second opinions are always valuable in difficult cases  :)

Identified anywhere else in same register: The groom was from a different parish (Oulart). So I expect and believe the happy couple disappear from this Kilmuckridge register, while the register for Oulart is not extant until (much) later  :(
As for her father and especially her brother, i have looked at a few pages, but it is very tiring with this quality of microfilm copy, the condition of the original, and the handwriting. I should look further at some point.

As for the Christian name of the groom, this is my main concern as he is a direct ancestor of mine. I agree it certainly looks like Patrick. However, it would only take a change in one letter to make it Peter, which would be a much better fit with later generations than Patrick. It is what it is though.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I think it is Patri, short  for Patrick.  Petrus is a Latin form for Peter and i don't seem to be able to see Petru there. 

I am not seeing the word James. The word immediately after Magil looks to me like Pa(i)tri and is the inserted word the one called James(?) d  (does this mean deceased?)
I have looked through the register and see Jas a couple of times.  I am throwing Denis Dionysius or a short form. 

Further on (May 1794?) there are the marriages of Martin Magill and Pat Magill (with two Ls) with a Crane and a Laffin.  Also a Patrick Magill in December 1793.