Author Topic: Garrity family, "North Gate", Glasslough Street, Monaghan, County Monaghan  (Read 851 times)

Offline Hubandpersse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrity family, "North Gate", Glasslough Street, Monaghan, County Monaghan
« on: Saturday 31 December 22 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
When researching my Monaghan ancestors I came across a reference in a book "Another street ran up part of the grounds occupied by Glasslough Street, and the North Gate was about where Mrs. Garrity's house is." The Garrity family owned a drapers shop in the 19th century. I was wondering does anyone know the exact location where the "north gate" was as this would then tell me where exactly my ancestors had their shop. Thanks for reading.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Garrity family, "North Gate", Glasslough Street, Monaghan, County Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 22 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer?

MapGenie 6 Inch Colour (1st Edition)   (1829-1841)
MapGenie 6 Inch B&W (1st Edition)   (1829-1841)
MapGenie 25 Inch B&W    (1897-1913)

https://osi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=bc56a1cf08844a2aa2609aa92e89497e

(Click 'Accept' and 'OK'. Click 'X' in the black band.)
Then select your map in the Basemap Gallery.
Type Monaghan in the Search bar.

***Edited to Add***
Glasslough Street in MapGenie 25 Inch map
https://arcg.is/15C5CW0

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 22 14:35 GMT (UK) »
First, a very warm welcome to Rootschat.
There are a number of adverts 1881 in the "People's Advocate and Monaghan, Fermanagh and Tyrone News" re. the clothing shop of "B. Garrity, Glasslough Street, Monaghan" - none provide a shop number. In 1886, same newspaper, "B Garrity, Glasslough Street" advertised the opening of a leather clog making business at the Glasslough Street premises.

In Nov 1896, same newspaper, a Patrick Hughes advertised he was taking over "the premises in Glasslough Street lately occupied by Mrs Bridget Garrity".

The same paper, 1 Feb 1902, has the death of a Mrs Bernard Garrity, formerly of Glasslough Street. She died in Glasgow and was brought back to Monaghan for burial. There's a lengthy report of the funeral. 

Wondered if the above was part of your "Garrity family, North Gate"?

Offline Hubandpersse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 22 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for replying. Yes the advertisements and newspaper article relate to my ancestor, Mrs Bridget Garrity (her husband was Bernard). Their son, Patrick Garrity also had a shop in Monaghan town as did Bernards brother, Owen Garrity. I will have a look at the maps and see if any reference where North Gate was in Glasslough Street. Thanks again for helping a stranger.