Author Topic: St Ives marriage 1897  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Ives marriage 1897
« on: Saturday 31 December 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Anna MORGAN (born Q2 1840 Fressingfield, SFK) was married Q4 1897 in St Ives, Huntingdonshire, to George Pope CORNWELL. In 1891 spinster Anna was living at 38 East Road, Cambridge, with her brother & elderly mother. But can anyone please help me with any further information on her spouse ? Many thanks.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: St Ives marriage 1897
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 22 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Presumably Anna's death
Death Sep qtr 1909 
CORNWELL,  Anna    age 68   
Cambridge    3b   229

From deceased online
Cornwell , Anna
burial date 04 September 1909
location Cambridgeshire
One other in grave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I saw the death of Anna in 1909, but I think she appears on the 1901 census with her husband, William J Cornwell.
In 1911, he was a widower.

I can't see anything for Anna and George.

David

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry in the Amalgamated Society Of Railway Servants' register for a G Pope Cornwell in 1897. He was a 23-year-old (born c.1874) assistant fireman in Huntingdon.

Hmm, that would be a very large age gap between Anna and George, but I can't think there were many other G Pope Cornwells in Huntingdonshire. Are you sure this Anna (born Q2 1840 Fressingfield, SFK) married George Pope Cornwell?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your most helpful inputs. DCB is quite right, the Anna CORNWELL (nee MOORE) who died in Cambridge Q3 1909 was the wife of William James CORNWELL not my elusive George Pope CORNWELL but thanks rosie99. Queenie seems to have cornered him for, as she says, there cannot have been that many so named in that neck of the woods at that particular time. They were certainly married according to the Marriage Index but their age difference is yet another poser. With a name such as his, you would have thought this should be a 'piece of cake'. Happy New Year everyone!
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
There are some other records matching the person mentioned by Queenie, but not in the same area.

Changes of staff, with rates of pay, of Locomotive and Carriage Dept 1902 - 1913
G Cornwell, fireman, born 9 Jun 1874
Residence 6 Mar1902 at Brighton Station
London, Brighton and South Coast Co.

Ditto 8 Mar 1900

However, he was still single, with his parents, in 1901: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS31-6ZZ

He was the son of Robert Cornwell and Mary Ann Vail who married in Ely district in 1865.
A number of siblings from 1866-1880

David

P.S. On checking the George in Brighton, he was born there and became an Engine Driver by 1911, having married Kate Rose Jasper. His middle name was William.

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:03 GMT (UK) »
There are some other records matching the person mentioned by Queenie, but not in the same area.

Changes of staff, with rates of pay, of Locomotive and Carriage Dept 1902 - 1913
G Cornwell, fireman, born 9 Jun 1874
Residence 6 Mar1902 at Brighton Station
London, Brighton and South Coast Co.

P.S. On checking the George in Brighton, he was born there and became an Engine Driver by 1911, having married Kate Rose Jasper. His middle name was William.

I agree that this is not the same man as George Pope Cornwell. However, I am really struggling to find any other record on this man other than the trade union register entry and his marriage.

I feel the only way you could possibly find the identity of this George is to see his marriage certificate. Unfortunately, I am unable to find an image or transcript online, so it seems like you may have to purchase it from the GRO. The certificate will give you George's father's name, which will hopefully lead to finding George as a child on the census, which will give you his birth date and place.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 23 10:42 GMT (UK) »
It may be nothing, but here is a mystery Anna Cornwell on the 1901 census. She was a widow, born 1873 in Sutton, Cambridgeshire, living as a servant in Kingston, Surrey.

In 1911, she was also a widow, born 1874 in Sutton, in Wendover, Buckinghamshire. Later that year she married Ernest Henry Deering in Wycombe District, Buckinghamshire. In 1921, she was in Great Missenden, born 1874 in Huntingdonshire. Ernest died in 1930 and she was a widow in 1939, born 1873.

If she was a widow in 1901, she must have married a Cornwell between 1889 and 1901. The only Anna who married a Cornwell in that period was to George Pope in 1897, although there was an Adelaide Anna Smith to George Kendrick Cornwell in 1891.

The only problem is that I can't find an Anna Morgan who fits her details.

David

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 23 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Is this the correct date of birth for your Anna?

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2020/82/66598367_a6f540e9-d951-4f6d-9f7c-b49071be0bbe.jpeg

In 1901 she is 'Emma' MORGAN, housekeeper to Alfred PULHAM, but married and died as Anna.

Piece: 1787
Folio: 21
Page number: 7

Marriages Dec 1905 

MORGAN, Anna         
PULHAM, Alfred
Hoxne
4a   1835

Debra  :D