Author Topic: Regiment location 1893  (Read 828 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Regiment location 1893
« on: Saturday 31 December 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
in Aug 1893 my Great auntie married a colour sergeant, called James white, in Plymouth who according to the marriage certificate was based at Richmond barracks, Dublin. 

My question is, does anyone know which regiment was based there at that time? 

I have found a document, that records the death of "a" Colour sergeant James White from a self inflicted gunshot wound in 1900, fighting in the Boer War. Our James, also apparently died in 1900 during the same war, and i was wondering if he could be the same person.

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment location 1893
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 22 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the details in the usual records, known as the Stations of the British Army, don't go down to the level of individual barracks. In Dublin on 3 August 1893 there were the following infantry battalions:
1st bn Scots Guards
1st bn Royal Sussex Regiment (34th)
2nd bn Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (46th)
1st bn Royal Munster Fusiliers (101st)

The last named Regiment had been formed in 1881 from the old East India Company European Regiment then known as the Royal Bengal Fusiliers (also the 101st regt of Foot)

All four of the battalions listed above deployed to South Africa  for the Second Boer War in either 1899 or 1900.

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 22 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy, for the quick responce & the info you have provided, i think pretty much confirms that there does indeed look to have been two Colour Sergeants, called James white fighting and dying in the Boar War. The one who's death & burial I've found details of, was apparently with the 4th Bat. Cheshire regiment.

Thanks again

Regards

Stewart

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 23 16:53 GMT (UK) »
in Aug 1893 my Great auntie married a colour sergeant, called James white, in Plymouth who according to the marriage certificate was based at Richmond barracks, Dublin. 

My question is, does anyone know which regiment was based there at that time? 

I have found a document, that records the death of "a" Colour sergeant James White from a self inflicted gunshot wound in 1900, fighting in the Boer War. Our James, also apparently died in 1900 during the same war, and i was wondering if he could be the same person.

There is a J H White who died 25 May 1900 in S Africa and was a member of the 2nd Battalion of the Cornwall Light Infantry, which ties in with those stationed in Dublin in 1893. This soldier was a Private (service number 1179) but soldiers were busted down the ranks pretty easily as i have a relative who was up and down the ranks all the time so could possibly be him ?

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a J H White who died 25 May 1900 in S Africa and was a member of the 2nd Battalion of the Cornwall Light Infantry, which ties in with those stationed in Dublin in 1893. This soldier was a Private (service number 1179) but soldiers were busted down the ranks pretty easily as i have a relative who was up and down the ranks all the time so could possibly be him ?
 He died of disease at Naauwpoort and his name is on The Duke of Cornwalls memorial in St Petroc Church in Bodmin.

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that pogo99 i think you might have found the right guy. Certainly worthy of a little more research on my part

Regards

Stewart