Author Topic: wills  (Read 4816 times)

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wills
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 March 23 20:02 GMT (UK) »
the quoted section using "obo" is taken from the summaries of thousands of deeds, wills and marriage contracts on my cd edition of manxnotebook - obo is my shorthand for on behalf of which is a standard phrase used in these contracts whereby generally parents of the young couple about to be married come to some arrangement over land to be transferred in the future (eg conditional on a child being produced, survival of mother etc)
these contracts have to satisfy a court - this one didn't at 1st attempt hence my note at start - these summaries were done by myself to aid my own private research at the Manx Museum where I (and other visitors) have easy access to the originals - in this case North Side Sale May 1728 Lezayre #25
- I understand that these deeds were photographed some years ago by the Mormons and might be found online

bit of update, it seems Familysearch did film the indexes.   I did find this on skillicorn/cottier but I'm guessing the actual document not filmed yet.   just thought I'd let you know.