Author Topic: wills  (Read 4799 times)

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wills
« on: Saturday 31 December 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is good at reading wills.   I found a will of John Crow dated 1800. the confusing part is on page one the children listed are John Crow, Joney Crow Cottier, and Margaret Crow.  On the last page the children are different, John Crow, Margaret Crow, Jane Cleator, and catherine crow.   The last page is image 99.   would page 99 be for a different John Crow.   The death date seems to be the same May 1800.   
Also I am wondering if Nairy and Aust were close to each other. 
This is the will link from family search.   pages 91 through 99, last page. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJD-BVPK?cat=234410

thanks very much if anyone can help with this one OR Offer any opinions. :)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 23 06:44 GMT (UK) »
The detail on page 99 says that John Crow died intestate, so I think he is a different John Crow from the one detailed on page 91 who seems to have definitely had a will although what is here is not really the actual will is it, it is a description of the will and processes of probate/administration, and charges to the estate.

I see
Image 91

This is affirmed to be the last will and testament
Of John Crowe senr. of Aust within the parish of Lezayre. Etc.

Item he left and bequeathed to his son in law William Cottier whatever cash he had in his hands …………and
He left the cart (?)  to be equally between his only son John Crowe and his afores’d son in law William Cottier…and left sixpence each to any that should strive to break this will.

Lastly he nominated & appointed his Daughter Margt Crowe whole and sole Executrix of all the rest - moveable and immoveable whatsoever ………….and to the witnesses of this his will sixpence apiece.

Then there is a note from the Chapter Court saying there was no objection

Image 93
Is a list of accounts all quite interesting but regarding children is this part

Acc’t of the trouble cost charges and loss of time of Wm Garnet  and John Kneale both of Lezayre who became pledges for Marg’t Cross Daughter and executrix etc etc.  by her the sd Marg’t Crow and John Lace of sd parish now her husband

Image95
Regarding inventory etc.

…..and have found out by the depositions of Wm Cottier and Joney his wife and Elizabeth Crow and others and also by a schedule…

John Lace of Lezayre the husband of Marg’t Lace alias Crow

Image 99
At a Chapter Court holden in the Parish of Kirk Christ, Lezayre on the second day of July 1800

John Crow of the said Parish having departed this life on or about the nineteenth day of May last past intestate and this court having received intelligence thereof hath decreed his four children namely John, Margaret and Catherine Crow with Jane Cleator or Crow co-administrator  of all and singular his goods, rights credits, chattels and effects

so as a working hypothesis

John 1. had a son John, and a daughter Margaret who married John Lace
William Cottier might be a son-in-law as we know it, married to Joney a daughter OR, he might be a step son.
I have no idea who Elizabeth Crow might be. a sister perhaps? 

John 2. had 4 children.  John, Margaret, Catherine and Jane who is married to Mr Cleaton.

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 23 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to look at the will and explaining it to me.    It all makes sense to me now.

This John Crowe Snr of Aust was married to a Margaret Skillicorn who died in 1758 seems to be shortly after Margarets birth.    I was wondering if those other children were from another marriage and confused why they were not mentioned on the first page but now I am happy to know its a different John Crow.

The Elizabeth Crowe mentioned I believe to be John Juniors wife.   john Junior married an Elizabeth Christian in 1787.    They  had land in Aust at one time, sold it later.

Margaret Skillicorn Crow also left a will. In that will she says she left the land to John Crow Snr until john junior reaches age 21.  would that mean she owned the land or maybe they owned it together. seems she did not want anything going to her mothers side of the family   her will is here.   the same children are listed, Margaret, Joney and John Junior.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSND-Y993-R?i=541&cat=234410

sorry for all the questions but certainly appreciate the help understanding all of it.   

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »
ts a bit ambiguous isn’t it.   “the mother’s side” could refer to Margaret’s mother’s side of the family or  it could be referring to Margaret herself as “the mother”.

At least she must still have liked her sister 😀

I don’t know what the customary ownerships etc were on the Isle of Man. It certainly reads as though it was her property. Was it part of a marriage settlement, or did she inherit from her father/mother/other person?

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 23 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again.     From that information I did find more info.   I see that there was a marriage contract of James Skillicorn and Ellinor Cottier who would be the parents of Margaret and Catherine. I have no clue what this means. lol.   
This is what it says

James Skillicorn and Ellnr Cottier dated 28 July 1726
Whereas on 10 January last there were arranged but soasmuch as not to answer these answer fully, John Cottier and wife Joney obo dau Ellinor, James Skillicorn obo himself, all Lezayre,Cottiers to settle half estate, James to pay 7pound. If Cottier remarries and has a son then his executors to pay 14 pound in lieu land;witt John Wattleworth junr, Nich Christian.

not sure what obo means.

I then found this info on Ellinor Cottier Skillicorn but nothing on james.   

https://www.mannincloud.info/wills/173/1738_032.html

I was at least able to find out who their mother is, and the grandparents.   
Thanks so very much for your help.   

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 23 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Is it definitely obo? 
In the context it seems like a word that might mean something like “on behalf of”

…just thought - the initials  of “on behalf of” =obo

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 23 22:46 GMT (UK) »
yeah obo, so thanks very much.   Found out alot of info thanks to your reply.  appreciate it.   

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 23 09:03 GMT (UK) »
the quoted section using "obo" is taken from the summaries of thousands of deeds, wills and marriage contracts on my cd edition of manxnotebook - obo is my shorthand for on behalf of which is a standard phrase used in these contracts whereby generally parents of the young couple about to be married come to some arrangement over land to be transferred in the future (eg conditional on a child being produced, survival of mother etc)
these contracts have to satisfy a court - this one didn't at 1st attempt hence my note at start - these summaries were done by myself to aid my own private research at the Manx Museum where I (and other visitors) have easy access to the originals - in this case North Side Sale May 1728 Lezayre #25
- I understand that these deeds were photographed some years ago by the Mormons and might be found online
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 March 23 18:23 GMT (UK) »
thanks Frances, your cd has helped alot with research.
I did try to find this particular film but it seems the NSS are only available from about 1757 onwards. hopefully the earlier ones might be available to look at one of these days as well.