Author Topic: Emigration to US: Gabriel Gallear (1887) - Records for Alberta shipping company?  (Read 725 times)

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
  • One day my family history will become Callear!!
    • View Profile
I am currently researching a family member (named Gabriel Gallear - sometimes recorded as Callear) who according to the 1900 US census emigrated to the US in 1887; along with his family:

• wife Caroline Ellen Gallear
  • daughter Elizabeth jones Gallear
  • daughter Sarah Florence Voilet Gallear
  • daughter Mildred E Gallear
  • daughter Mary Ann Gallear

A family member remembers his grandmother telling him that her mum (Lilllian Francis Alberta Webb (b. 1891) was named after the "Alberta" shipping company who transported Gabriel and family (along with a Levi [surname unknown]) to the US

Can anyone offer any advice/guidance as to how we can prove or disprove this? If there is a passenger list(?) then maybe it is possible to identify who Levi is/was as he would not appear to be a sibling of Gabriel.
Callear/Gallear and a growing list of (mis)spellings

One day my family history will become Callear!!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration to US: Gabriel Gallear (1887) - Records for Alberta shipping company?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Was he a jeweller in England?

1887 ship: Steamer Nevada from Liverpool and Queenstown
Apr 28, 1887
Gabriel Callear, 40, jeweler,
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPF-26ZV

traveling by himself. I didn't see anyone named Levi on the same page.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration to US: Gabriel Gallear (1887) - Records for Alberta shipping company?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Steamship Nevada
built by Palmer's Shipbuilding & Iron, Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, in 1868
https://catalogs.marinersmuseum.org/object/CL4604

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:24 GMT (UK) »
C Callear and family
on the Wisconsin, Oct 12, 1887

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSV-RZSS

---
real life calls. try googling "who built the Wisconsin" and see what comes up. That's how I found the Nevada, but unfortunately Wisconsin is on a large body of water and all I am seeing right off is references to the state and the USS Winconsin. I didn't rule that out though, come to think of it.

and I didn't check the manifest page for the family for anyone named Levi.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
The 1900-1910-1920 census have dates of immigration as 1887-1888-1886.

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
  • One day my family history will become Callear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 23 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to those that have responded - much appreciated!  :)

The 1900 US census says 1887, whilst the 1920 US census says 1886.

The passenger list from the SS Nevada looks good but I'm concerned about the profession shown as "jeweller". He is recorded in the 1861 UK census as being a coal miner [the family trade!] and as a farmer in the 1900 US census. It is interesting that there is a "Jones" listed before and after him as his wife's maiden name was Jones - I have yet to research her past so maybe one of these is connected.

The passenger list from the Wisconsin looks good for his wife, Caroline (right year of birth) and kids names match - albeit I originally listed their four eldest including Sarah Florence Voilet Gallear [born 1888!] and not William (who is shown on the list)
Callear/Gallear and a growing list of (mis)spellings

One day my family history will become Callear!!