Author Topic: Sarah Pettitt  (Read 287 times)

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Pettitt
« on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify the birth details for Sarah Pettitt / Pettett. I believe she was born around 1804 in Sussex. She married benjamin barrow 11th April 1829 where she is 'of this parish', Sarah & Benjamin went on to have at least 7 children, she continued living in beddingham but died in Lewes at the home of her daughter Mary.
Census 1841-1871 give her birth as Southease. I have located a Sarah Pettitt baptised in Southease on 8 july 1804, parents Samuel & Lucy Pettitt but i am not sure if these are the same Sarah's although in some family trees this information is included.
any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Pettitt
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 23 15:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1804 baptism in Southease seems perfectly plausible to me; is there a reason you are unsure about it?

Samuel Pettitt married Lucy Young on 9th April 1798 in Southease. I can't see any other children born to them other than Sarah, but a Lucy Pettitt was buried on 14th April 1805 in Southease, so maybe that explains it.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such a quick response.
Sarah's name is spelt differently on all documents that I have for her - Pettett, Pettet, Pettite & Pettit. I have looked at several of the different families of Pettitt & they all contain a variety of spellings. I was concerned because i could not locate anything about her between the baptism & the marriage. I will look into Samuel, see where he pops up later
Thanks for your help
Happy new year

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 23 18:17 GMT (UK) »
INterestingly there's a banns record from Southease in 1828 for Sarah Pettett (spinster otp) and William Carl or Earl. Set one, 3 Feb, set 2 read 10 Feb when it is recorded they were forbad on the grounds that both parties were not agreed