Author Topic: GRO digital images £2.50  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Delphia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO digital images £2.50
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 January 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
The section in my original post was the last sentence in a three quarter page answer.  The person asking the question wanted to know if there was any way to work out how to narrow things down save having to buy certificates that were not relevant.

Will scan tomorrow when I go to work and try and upload tomorrow evening.

Delphia

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 January 23 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I think it's interesting that there is a gap where Andy clearly sees the digital copy option.

I think its going to be a "watch this space"  for the near near future.  GRO probably don't want their fingers burnt with too many orders flooding in until purchase option has been thoroughly tested.

Fingers crossed the trail is a success.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 January 23 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm in blank space club too.  :'(

My page looks like the image posted by BumbleB and doesn't have the option for a digital image as posted by AndyJ2022.

I think JC26Red probably has it right that the GRO is taking it steady and wants to prevent the website falling over as we all order dozens of images. I seem to remember that there was a backlog of months when wills were reduced to £1.50 a year or two back.

I am a FamilyTree reader and somehow managed to miss this. Delphia quoted the last sentence of the answer and I can type out the whole last section if it helps. Hold on a minute as I'm a slow typist!  ;D

If this is coming soon to us all then it's something to really be excited about.

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 January 23 18:19 GMT (UK) »
It is a private beta trial. I believe it should not have been publicised, either in the magazine or in this thread. As AntonyMMM has said, all triallists have signed a non-disclosure agreement, and any infringement of that may jeopardise the rollout of the whole project for everyone else.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 January 23 18:42 GMT (UK) »
FamilyTree magazine December 2022 issue, page 69.

Getting to grips with Welsh patronymics - last section of answer.

"Thinking Further About GRO and LRO Certificates

After all this you still may not find the information you need to go back further and certificates may well be the next step. I always recommend contacting the Registry Office for the area where the event took place rather than depending on the GRO index, as the Registry Office will hold the original details. Copies of the local records were sent to the GRO to create the indexes and there may well have been errors or omissions. You can give the Registry Office much more detail that can help them determine the correct certificate if faced with the same or similar names.
With later GRO indexes on commercial sites if you check the transcript rather than the image for the entry it can give additional information such as mother's maiden name, birth date on a death entry and the names of possible spouses for marriage certificates. To help reduce the cost of buying full certificates the GRO now offer Online View digital images of certain birth and death records for £2.50 amongst other services. BE"

Tony.

Added: Redboxed but posting.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 January 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh deary me. We can't have a situation that 'promotes' a them and us amongst hobbists like ourselves. Shame on those choosing to even think an NDC is necessary. It leaves a stain on our hobby.
I bet the lights at the Dept of Culture, Media and Sports will be burning long into the night to weed out the name(s) :o

Offline Delphia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 January 23 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for typing that out Tony.

Was wondering how I was going to scan the page in without it being too large.

Delphia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 January 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »

Delphia

You shouldn't post a whole certificate - it is copyright!
You should instead post a snippet (using the Windows tool?) of the relevant parts.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 January 23 20:14 GMT (UK) »

Delphia

You shouldn't post a whole certificate - it is copyright!
You should instead post a snippet (using the Windows tool?) of the relevant parts.

The piece in question is a magazine article and not a certificate. Copyright did cross my mind but I did think that the use of quotation marks and not using the whole article would cover me in that respect.

To post an image of the part I probably would have to have photographed the relevant part with my phone then emailed it to myself. I could then have downloaded it to my laptop and then taken a snip using the snipping tool (which seems to reduce file size) and then posted it.

Even my ponderous typing would outpace this process I think!  ;D ;D

Tony.