Author Topic: GRO digital images £2.50  (Read 10977 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO digital images £2.50
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 January 23 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Signing out of this thread it's got too tedious and we've got nowhere. At least RC members, those 213 at the last count, who have viewed the first posting of the image by xxxxxxxxx are not being asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement  ;D ;D

Offline Knight-Sunderland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 January 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I do hope they expand it to everyone, it's such a good idea.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 January 23 23:34 GMT (UK) »
It will be interesting to see how this develops.
North East of England

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Digital copies of GRO registrations are €0.00 in Ireland. No copyright worries.  8)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 09:16 GMT (UK) »
You shouldn't post a whole certificate - it is copyright!
You should instead post a snippet (using the Windows tool?) of the relevant parts.

This is what GRO say about copyright and PDF certificate copies. I can't see that reproduction of paper copies would be any different? It says that the only problems with copying or publishing a certificate are that it must not be done in an attempt to pass it off as the original certificate, and that the GDPRA 2018 applies to certificates containing information about living people

Q7. Are the PDFs subject to any copyright?

"They are covered by Crown Copyright and whilst it is an offence to make a copy of a
certificate and pass it off as the original certificate you are welcome to copy, publish
or use the information they contain including in the form of a PDF.

"However, if they contain information relating to living individuals then the provisions
of the General Data Protection Regulation Act 2018, Data Protection Act 2018 and
the Human Rights Act 1998 will apply. You should bear that in mind if you were to
(for example) publish or display a copy of the image you have received from us if it
contained information about living individuals, as you would need their permission to
do so."
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I have bought hundreds of certificates and then PDFs since starting my tree in 2012 but haven't seen anything on this before (I have a blank section on my GRO home page too). As i have done with the £1.50 wills, i would have welcomed this opportunity, and still would.

Happy New Year everyone :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I too have a shed load of paid for certs and .pdfs, but also understand that beta testing is needed (wish they'd done it 'properly' for the wills!) and am grateful that at least some experienced researchers have been part of this.

I imagine they will have selected folk from different parts of the country/world and maybe a mix of regular users of the current site and newer customers to make it a wide representation of the user base.

I'm happy to wait till they are satisfied that the glitches, as far as possible, are dealt with.

Will be good when its rolled out to the general public.

Boo

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 January 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hope this works out and is offered to all, as it would be very useful for elimination purposes.  I'm still trying to kill off a 3x gt grandfather with a common name ;D

You shouldn't post a whole certificate - it is copyright!
You should instead post a snippet (using the Windows tool?) of the relevant parts.

This is what GRO say about copyright and PDF certificate copies. I can't see that reproduction of paper copies would be any different? It says that the only problems with copying or publishing a certificate are that it must not be done in an attempt to pass it off as the original certificate, and that the GDPRA 2018 applies to certificates containing information about living people

Q7. Are the PDFs subject to any copyright?

"They are covered by Crown Copyright and whilst it is an offence to make a copy of a
certificate and pass it off as the original certificate you are welcome to copy, publish
or use the information they contain including in the form of a PDF.

"However, if they contain information relating to living individuals then the provisions
of the General Data Protection Regulation Act 2018, Data Protection Act 2018 and
the Human Rights Act 1998 will apply. You should bear that in mind if you were to
(for example) publish or display a copy of the image you have received from us if it
contained information about living individuals, as you would need their permission to
do so."

I've been trying to tell people this for years.  You can post all of the detail on a certificate.  Just don't post the entire document as it takes up too much space, use something like the snipping tool to crop out the written part.  No need to restrict it to a "snippet", especially if you're asking for help deciphering a word.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 July 23 11:19 BST (UK) »