Author Topic: GRO digital images £2.50  (Read 13371 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: GRO digital images £2.50
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 12:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know if they are going to update the online Deaths index beyond 2021?

I don't know - there is no legal reason why they can't.

The description of the index in the FAQs says "Death records from 1837 to 1957, and 1984 up to two years ago in England and Wales" so if that stays the same I would expect 2022 entries to be added shortly after the end of 2024.

I think the same will apply to the birth index coverage.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Antony, I missed that.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 02 May 24 09:37 BST (UK) »
I can see it in the Start Menu.

Only applies to Birth and Death PDF’s though, - annoying that it isn’t Marriages too!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 04 May 24 12:43 BST (UK) »
I've also used the digital image option for those records you're not too sure about. As a cheaper option for a gamble. I need to be pretty certain before splashing 7 or 11 squid. If I'm certain I now go for the hard copy as it comes as a decent paper copy for my hard archive rather than the pdf.
Mildred

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 04 May 24 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have so stocked up on birth certs for ancestors siblings now, and death certs for those who died in infancy, as well as adulthood. The new feature is great. No longer having to wait up to 3 weeks like before especially when WDYTYA was on and it made demand for BMD cert orders from GRO go through the roof.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BarbW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 04 May 24 18:56 BST (UK) »
I have so stocked up on birth certs for ancestors siblings now, and death certs for those who died in infancy, as well as adulthood. The new feature is great. No longer having to wait up to 3 weeks like before especially when WDYTYA was on and it made demand for BMD cert orders from GRO go through the roof.

That's what I've been doing, buying the death certificates for those who died young.  Of course we had the burial registers for dates in some cases but it's interesting to see little ones who died of childhood diseases which have now almost been eradicated in this country at least and young adults  dying of illnesses that would probably be cured these days.

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 04 May 24 20:23 BST (UK) »
I've just ordered a digital image and the option comes up when you chose whether you'd like a pdf, hard copy or digital image.
The full certificates do give you an insight into life in earlier times, the informant, place and illness. Very interesting and often very sad. I try to write a biography of all my direct line ancestors in a bid to understand and record their lives.
Mildred.

Offline BarbW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 04 May 24 21:41 BST (UK) »
I've just ordered a digital image and the option comes up when you chose whether you'd like a pdf, hard copy or digital image.
The full certificates do give you an insight into life in earlier times, the informant, place and illness. Very interesting and often very sad. I try to write a biography of all my direct line ancestors in a bid to understand and record their lives.
Mildred.

I got that information this week from the digital images of 3 siblings.  The date of death and address where they died, the illness that caused the death and the informant, the mother who was present at the death of her children in 2 cases, the other being a teenager, the informant was his sister as his mother was already dead by then herself at 33 years of age.

I don't see what else you'd get from a full certificate unless I'm missing something.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 05 May 24 12:00 BST (UK) »
I don't see what else you'd get from a full certificate unless I'm missing something.

Apart from the missing headings, the only difference is that digital images don't (usually) show any marginal notes that may be on the entry - pdf and paper copies do. Otherwise they are identical.