Author Topic: Profession of Mathew Devereux?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Profession of Mathew Devereux?
« on: Tuesday 03 January 23 04:03 GMT (UK) »
On this extract from a marriage registration. It may say "M Doctor" but that seems a strange abbreviation, and may also be wishful thinking  ;D
Thanks
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Profession of Mathew Devereux?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it looks like M Doctor. (MD as in "doctor of medicine")
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 07:15 GMT (UK) »

Mathew Devereux is a rather distinctive name. If he is a Doctor of....anything....you might expect to see his name somewhere else.

What date and place relates to this record which names Mathew Devereux?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 07:23 GMT (UK) »

Mathew Devereux is a rather distinctive name. If he is a Doctor of....anything....you might expect to see his name somewhere else.

What date and place relates to this record which names Mathew Devereux?

Devereux is not that exotic a name in Wexford. I have Devereux ancestry myself.  :)

The extract is from the second marriage of his son Thomas, aged 44, in Ballymore, Co. Wexford, in 1874.

I can find no relevant newspaper reference to a Dr Devereux, other than the clerical kind, in the vicinity in the time frame of reference, which is precisely what makes me wonder.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 07:41 GMT (UK) »
There are various reports of an incident in July 1824 which mention a Dr DEVEREUX, who sounds like a medical doctor - he had "attended Mr Carroll occasionally for the last three years ... and considered him insane." I gather the incident occurred at Killinick, though that's not necessarily where Dr DEVEREUX was.

The item in the English newspapers says it comes from the Wexford Herald.
eg:    Tuesday,  July 20, 1824
Publication: The Times

Perhaps a little early to be your man.  :-\

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 08:06 GMT (UK) »
There are various reports of an incident in July 1824 which mention a Dr DEVEREUX, who sounds like a medical doctor - he had "attended Mr Carroll occasionally for the last three years ... and considered him insane." I gather the incident occurred at Killinick, though that's not necessarily where Dr DEVEREUX was.

The item in the English newspapers says it comes from the Wexford Herald.
eg:    Tuesday,  July 20, 1824
Publication: The Times

Perhaps a little early to be your man.  :-\

Ah, interesting. The BNA does not have the Wexford Herald, and I was looking from 1830 onwards in any case. No Christian name given for Dr. Devereux, but it is stated in another report (now that I change time period), that he lived in Wexford (the town).

That was quite a famous case.

I will dig out some town directories in the morning

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Any chance of a bigger piece of the register so we can see other letter M.

The letter M at the beginning of Mathew, to me, does not look the same as the letter M in front of Doctor. Though against this I guess the writer would be more likely to do a flourish around the initial letter of a name as opposed to a shortened form of a qualification. 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Any chance of a bigger piece of the register so we can see other letter M.

The letter M at the beginning of Mathew, to me, does not look the same as the letter M in front of Doctor. Though against this I guess the writer would be more likely to do a flourish around the initial letter of a name as opposed to a shortened form of a qualification.

You can see the entire page here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11247/8125158.pdf

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I consulted with Pigot's directory of 1820, and Slater's of 1846. Both have the Dr. Renwick of the newspaper accounts, neither has a Dr. Mathew Devereux. In fact neither has a physician named Devereux at all, though there is a Nicholas Devereux, a surgeon, in 1820.