Author Topic: Martha ? - Robert PHILLIPS marriage  (Read 700 times)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Martha ? - Robert PHILLIPS marriage
« on: Tuesday 03 January 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nottingham RootsChatters

I am trying to find the parents for Martha Brown born around 1811 in Brinsley. I have found two potential baptisms that fit and I am trying to eliminate one or the other. Martha later became Martha Gadsby and was my 4 x G Grandmother. She consistently states in the census's that Brinsley is her birthplace.

Baptism 7 Jan 1810 : Brinsley Daughter of Samuel and Ruby Brown.
Baptism 23 Dec 1810 : St Lawrence, Heanor, Derbyshire. Parents = Wm & Mary.

As well as the census birthplaces there are other connections with Brinsley which made me lean towards Samuel and Ruby but someone has pointed out a possible problem!

The 1841 Census for Brinsley shows Samuel Brown age 70 living with Abraham Brown age 20 (likely his son baptised 2 Apr 1818 Brinsley) and Robert and Martha Phillips age 30. Also their children Robert Phillips age 4 and John age 1.

If Martha Phillips was Samuel & Ruby's daughter, Martha Brown, then she can't be Martha Gadsby and Samuel and Ruby are out of the search... But I cannot find a marriage between a Robert Phillips and Martha Brown (which I guess is good but I'd like to know who they are one way or the other to be sure) or even to Martha something-else.

I wonder if anyone can shine a light on this for me?

Many Thanks

Rob
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Martha ? - Robert PHILLIPS marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 16:41 GMT (UK) »

The 1841 Census for Brinsley shows Samuel Brown age 70 living with Abraham Brown age 20 (likely his son baptised 2 Apr 1818 Brinsley) and Robert and Martha Phillips age 30. Also their children Robert Phillips age 4 and John age 1.

1841 that you mention
Stone Row, Greasley, Basford.  HO107/857 book 4 folio 10 page 12
Neighbours to a John Brown

You say that Martha later became a Gadsby, did she marry Mr Gadsby as that record should name her father
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Is this Martha's marraige?
1832 10 14   Edward   GADSBY   Martha   BROWN   RADFORD St Peter

If so, then sadly a marriage cert isn't going to give you the father's name(as I'm sure you know). But have you seen the parish register to see if the names of witnesses give any clues?

I can't find a marriage between Robert PHILIPS and Martha either. But strangely, the children who are with them in 1841 would fit these baptisms (plus another one -- the oldest, presumably he died?). All say abode Brinsley:

1836 07 31 GREASLEY St Mary      Samuel   father Robert   GILBORN, labourer; mother Martha      

1838 06 24   GREASLEY St Mary      Robert   father Robert   GILBORN, labourer; mother Martha      

1840 10 04   GREASLEY St Mary      John    father Robert   GILBORNE, labourer; mother Martha      

Then maybe this might sort-of match this marriage:
1835 06 08   Robert   GILMAN   Martha   BROWN   at EASTWOOD St Mary

I can see how Gilman and Gilborn/e might be confused but not where Phillips might come in!!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
If I'm looking at the right Martha in the censuses, her age was, shall we say, "flexible" -- yob 1821 in 1861, 1808 in 1871 and 1811 in 1881. She was said to be 81 when she died in 1889 (so 1808 again).

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I had (wrongly) assumed that the Gadsby marriage was later than the Phillips one mentioned.  So Annie is correct if the 1835 marriage is the one then no father will be shown.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Wow - you are quick workers in Nottingham! Many thanks for the replies so far...

Ooops - When I said that Martha later became a Gadsby I meant after being a Brown! I.e. she only married the once to Edward Gadsby in 1832. It's a long story - they separated in around 1840 and she temporarily became Martha Blyth. I spent hours writing a biography in WikiTree if you want to see all the gory details! https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Brown-116040

Yes the mysterious Phillips lived in Stone Row - and that Gilborn similarity is interesting... I also noticed that Martha is inconsistent with her age! I'm chomping at the bit to look some more but I have to get the dinner cooked right now...

Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet