Author Topic: Giblett/Baker Query  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Giblett/Baker Query
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 January 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
James Giblett the elder died in 1862 and there is nothing on his death certificate about his family which was odd as his wife was alive and would have known this information.

findagrave has his place of birth as Hammersmith, London. Not sure where this information came from.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/236570047/james-giblett

Interestingly, the William GIBLETT, currier in St Ives on the 1851 census has children born in London.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGRW-ZMR
Though he is probably a little young to be your James' father.

There were some well known London cattle salesmen called Guerrier and Giblett - interestingly I am also related to the Guerriers (Huguenot name). Also Giblett William, butcher, purveyor to her Majesty, 110 New Bond street, Giblett John & James, curriers, 31 Vere street, Clare market - cattle were clearly a Giblett thing!  I suspect the William you have found might have been related to these London Gibletts but they probably all had their origins in Somerset and perhaps this family connection drew James to London.
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 January 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
James Giblett the elder died in 1862 and there is nothing on his death certificate about his family which was odd as his wife was alive and would have known this information.

findagrave has his place of birth as Hammersmith, London. Not sure where this information came from.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/236570047/james-giblett

Interestingly, the William GIBLETT, currier in St Ives on the 1851 census has children born in London.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGRW-ZMR
Though he is probably a little young to be your James' father.

Didn't realise this was on Findagrave - I have claimed him so I've just changed it. When I first started researching James the only document I had was the marriage registration so I think that's where Hammersmith came from. Well spotted though!
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 January 23 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I assume this is your James GIBLETT in Hammersmith in 1841
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQJC-YPB
(born in county)
Ah yes - that's where the birthplace came from.

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 January 23 13:01 GMT (UK) »

Is this your James GIBLETT selling up to leave for Melbourne...and suggestion of relative in Sydney?

I think this is the advertisement. Doesn't sound like a cooper emigrating to Australia.  :-\

Monday,  July 1, 1850
Publication: The Times

Yes, I don't think my James was an 'esquire'

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 January 23 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Bartlee Stroud GIBLETT (son of William) married a Harriet DERNELL in 1840 in Bristol
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTQL-K64

He was a wine merchant's clerk, born Bristol, living in Islington in 1851
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGFC-1YN

Bartlee Stroud was James's older brother. At the time of the marriage to Harriet Fry (she was a widow) he was a currier and so was father William. Bride's husband was a brewer so perhaps he was introduced to a new trade through the marriage?

I'm really impressed with your efforts - it's great having another set of eyes looking at this!  :D

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 January 23 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Just a word of caution - I think you need to careful in assuming the "siblings" you mention are actually those of your James GIBLETT. As far as I can see the only documents you have for his origins are his marriage cert in East London, and possibly the 1841 census which also has "born in county" ie Middlesex (though this is not always correct) and the passenger list which says Bristol.

Whilst it certainly looks possible that Bartlee Stroud GIBLETT is a brother (having the same father's name and occupation), and the passenger list cited by wivenhoe has James' native place as Bristol - again it's not proof.

Will keep looking, interesting family.  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 January 23 05:05 GMT (UK) »

Is this your family?

Is there a second marriage for widow Mary Ann GIBLETT after 1862?. 

Is there a second family for Mary Ann after 1862?

What is her name at death 1897?

Vic BDM births
2406/1855  GIBLETT  Eliza Ann
parents Mary Ann BAKER / James    @   Loddon

2642/1856  GIBLETT Eliza Emma
parents Mary Ann BAKER / James    @ Fryers Ck

8549/1858  GIBLETT Ellen
parents Mary Ann BAKER /  James   @ Fryers Ck

Deaths
6570/1860  GIBLETT Mary Emma
parents  Mary / James     age  4    place of birth  Vau

5630/1862  GIBLETT  James Bartlett
parents BAKER / James Bartle  age  11    place of birth  Lond

8158/1862  GIBLETT  James
parents   UKN/UKN     age 42

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate, 1862, James GILBETT.

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 January 23 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Just a word of caution - I think you need to careful in assuming the "siblings" you mention are actually those of your James GIBLETT. As far as I can see the only documents you have for his origins are his marriage cert in East London, and possibly the 1841 census which also has "born in county" ie Middlesex (though this is not always correct) and the passenger list which says Bristol.

Whilst it certainly looks possible that Bartlee Stroud GIBLETT is a brother (having the same father's name and occupation), and the passenger list cited by wivenhoe has James' native place as Bristol - again it's not proof.

Will keep looking, interesting family.  :)

Yes I agree - not genealogical standard proof by any means but sometimes one has to take a leap of faith to get anywhere, particularly when there is a paucity of documentation - not publishing anything yet - just working through the various possibilities. However, there is a bit more than the census and the marriage certificate:
The Slains Castle passenger manifest states he is from Bristol which is interesting because if the 1841 census is right he spent 10 years in London before leaving for Australia. Did they ask for a birthplace? I'm not sure but other documents created while he was alive have his birthplace as Wells, Somersetshire or just Somersetshire. These documents include Eliza Ann's birth certificate, Eliza Emma or Mary Emma's birth certificate and Mary Ellen's birth certificate. It is possible of course that he was born in Wells but grew up in Bristol and if we follow the life of the William Giblett, currier (purported father) he was resident in Bristol at the time of his marriage but married a woman from Huntspill, Somerset and was married there. Apart from James, I have 12 other possible children of William and Ann - the ones that had a confirmed father, William Giblett, currier were all baptised in St Cuthbert's, Wells. 2 married in Temple, Bristol and 1 married in Huntspill, Somerset so there seems to be some mobility even though William Giblett, currier maintained a business in Bristol and died there in 1829. Hope this makes sense! It's a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack....
I did have another thought regarding the 1841 census - if his age is correct (19 -it doesn't appear to have been rounded up), then he was born in 1822 and not 1820 as other documents such as his death certificate suggest. This would fit with the fact that William and Ann had twins in 1820 who lived for 10 days. They also had another child, Eliza, born 1823 and not baptised until 1836. Perhaps they just never got around to baptising James? 

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 January 23 06:59 GMT (UK) »

Is this your family?

Is there a second marriage for widow Mary Ann GIBLETT after 1862?. 
Yes, Mary Ann Giblett (nee Baker) married Edward Lancaster (1826-1875) 5 Jan 1863

Is there a second family for Mary Ann after 1862?
No there were no more children

What is her name at death 1897?
Mary Ann Lancaster

Vic BDM births
2406/1855  GIBLETT  Eliza Ann
parents Mary Ann BAKER / James    @   Loddon

2642/1856  GIBLETT Eliza Emma
parents Mary Ann BAKER / James    @ Fryers Ck

8549/1858  GIBLETT Ellen
parents Mary Ann BAKER /  James   @ Fryers Ck

Deaths
6570/1860  GIBLETT Mary Emma
parents  Mary / James     age  4    place of birth  Vau

5630/1862  GIBLETT  James Bartlett
parents BAKER / James Bartle  age  11    place of birth  Lond

8158/1862  GIBLETT  James
parents   UKN/UKN     age 42

Yes all the above is correct

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate, 1862, James GILBETT.

The informant for the death certificate knew very little about James and unfortunately the registrar did not say go and get his wife
!

Schedule B. 1862 Deaths in the District of Loddon in the Colony of Victoria. Registered by [illegible]
No.4027. When and Where Died: Twelfth October 1862, The Hospital Castlemaine.
Name and Surname, Rank or Profession: James Giblett, Carrier - informal.
Sex and Age: Male 42 years
Cause of Death: Phithis ? [remainder illegible]
Name and Surname of Father and Mother, if known, with Rank or Profession: no information.
Signature, Description and Residence of Informant: Robert Matthews. His mark. [?], Castlemaine.
Signature of Deputy Registrar, Date and where Registered: [illegible]. Thirteenth October 1862, Castlemaine. When and where buried. Undertaker by whom certified: Fourteenth October 1862, Vaughan Cemetery, E Lancaster.
Name and Religion of Minister or Names of Witnesses of Burial: Edward Lancaster, John Chapman.
Where born, and how long in the Australian Colony: no information.
Deceased was married where and at what age and to whom: no information.
Issue: no information