Author Topic: Special Mission. Greece. (Archipelago) May-Dec 1943  (Read 2708 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Special Mission. Greece. (Archipelago) May-Dec 1943
« on: Friday 06 January 23 16:14 GMT (UK) »
My uncle was a Phantom Radio Operator during the war, and after doing a few sortees in the desert of North Africa for which he was awarded the MM, he was then sent on a Special Mission, Greece, (Archipelago) between May to Dec 1943. I presume the mission was actually called Archipelago. Any information would be most appreciated on what this mission was. I do know that later in the war, June 1944 he also took part in Special Mission (Bergamotte) for which he was awarded the Croix De Guerre, with Palm Leaf.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Special Mission. Greece. (Archipelago) May-Dec 1943
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Was he Richard Langmaid (1916-1972)? If so, I assume you have obtained a copy of his SOE personnel file from the National Archives (HS 9/885/8).

Added: Have just seen this thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=867759.9 so yes he was Richard Langmaid. youngtug has already posted the link to his TNA entry.

Was he your uncle, or your grandfather as you mention in tthis thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=541796.msg3954348#msg3954348 ?

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 23 18:35 GMT (UK) »
No, I have not got his SOE records, and yes he was my uncle. Must look up the bits that you have highlighted, thank you very much, appreciated.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 23 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Would very much like to know what Mission Archipelago was all about though and who, and how many were involved on this particular mission.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 23 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling that 'Archipelago' is not the name of the mission but a geographical reference, ie the archipelago of the Dodecanese islands off mainland Greece.  This would mean that he was probably part of Force 281 which carried out Operation Accolade in the autumn of 1943. It is likely, given his Phantom role in North Africa, that he performed a similar role in the Dodecanese campaign probably attached the SAS or SBS. If so, he was probably one of a small party inserted into Leros, Rhodes or one of the other islands ahead of the main attack force and with the task of reporting on the enemy strengths and positions. The campaign ended in failure, mainly due to the fact that when it was being planned, the islands were largely defended by the Italians who were known to be demoralised and on the point of surrendering. Unfortunately the Germans managed the reinforce the Axis garrison in the Dodecanese at the last minute and Force 281 found itself outgunned. More on this here: https://militaryhistorynow.com/2020/11/22/operation-accolade-how-britains-elite-long-range-desert-group-met-disaster-in-the-aegean/ 
Oral history here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80009878

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 23 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that,  most interesting indeed. Thanks. I will try to research a little more now that you have kindly furnished me with that information.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 23 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Have had a good read, and all quite interesting to say the least. Not sure which part my uncle was involved with, or even attached too. But very interesting all the same. I have also found that he was previously Mentioned in Despatches (MiD) whilst serving with the 3rd Indian Divisional Signals in 1939 and listed in the London Gazette 8th July 1941, but cannot seem to find the page. Can anybody assist with the relevant page number or entry.
Thank you in anticipation.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 23 21:16 GMT (UK) »
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35209/supplement/3887 It was the publication of his MID for services in the Middle East

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 23 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I could not just locate it. Much obliged to you.

Thank you
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen