Author Topic: Margaret robinson/raffle  (Read 794 times)

Offline melody3baby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret robinson/raffle
« on: Friday 06 January 23 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Intrigued
Margaret robinson  born28.6.1939 daughter of Joseph John robinson and Martha David Waterhouse
Maternal side of the family
The paternal side of the family is Arthur raffle who married Margaret in Oct 1958
So one would assume the Robinson and raffles did not know each other much before that
However in the 1939 census showing Joseph John robinson and wife Martha and children Reginald Arthur and also Margaret whose surname has been changed from robinson to Raffle. Weird

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: robinson/raffle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 23 21:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 entry amendment from Robinson to Raffle will have been made after she died.  Her death cert will show her birthdate & maiden name so when the 1939 register is updated periodically - Bingo

EDIT

When did she die as I cannot find a death under Raffle up to 2021.    Husband Arthur died 2002

If she is still alive - Rootschat has a strict no living persons policy so her name will need to be removed from your subject header & her personal details from your opening post
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret robinson/raffle
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 23 21:46 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I think names were changed after marriage as the register was used by the NHS,

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s15/

"7. Why do some entries show the married names of women who did not marry until long after 1939?

The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued.
Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.
The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name."

The image for Margaret ROBINSON shows some writing in green RAFFLE and "CR283" 15 7 60 DE, I think CR283 is a form that is used when there is a Change of Surname, Forename, or Date of Birth.

Sorry, I can't help with the DE abbreviation.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)