Author Topic: Deaths near the very end of the year. Buried early the following year.  (Read 6785 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths near the very end of the year. Buried early the following year.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Often wondered if there is a disagreement about burial place who has the final say ?

As far as I know - who so ever claims and is given the ashes can do what they want with them.   

Regards 
Chas

If the deceased has given instructions there shouldn't be a problem but I wonder what happens if no instructions have been left and there's a disagreement what to do with the remains - cremation/burial - place ?

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 January 23 15:11 GMT (UK) »
My dad's ashes are still in the garage in the round container, and he died in October 2020. We plan to scatter them at the end of March, his posthumous birthday.

My aunt has her husband, father and mother in laws ashes in her lounge behind the small bar area.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 January 23 19:02 GMT (UK) »
There was a man locally who made a mould, about the size of a paving slab. He used the magnetic letters and numbers to make his father's name and birth and death date. I am explaining this badly, but he made a positive which became a silicon negative, which became the mould.   

The ashes of his dead father were mixed with cement and a colouring agent and poured into the mould. Next day the mould was removed and what he was left with was a shiny black slab 18" x 18" with his father's details. 

He took it out to the back of the Lynford estate and left it in what is almost "Ancient Woodland". It won't be disturbed and in time will revert back to nature. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 23 19:59 GMT (UK) »
My dad's ashes are still in the garage in the round container, and he died in October 2020. We plan to scatter them at the end of March, his posthumous birthday.

My aunt has her husband, father and mother in laws ashes in her lounge behind the small bar area.

I have my grandmother's (died 1989 and "inherited" from my aunt) and the said aunt's (died 2017). They are in a box / urn in the spare bedroom.
My father's (died 2011) and my mother's (died 2019) are still with the undertaker.

We have decided what to do with my parents' ashes -- we just need to find a convenient date for the immediate family to get together at the relevant place.
We have no idea what to do with the other two sets of ashes! Apparently my grandmother wanted them to be scattered in the field behind the house she lived in when first married -- but as the field had long since been turned into a housing estate even before she died, I can't see the residents being too thrilled with the idea!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Heard of someone who took relevant paper work from hospital where her relative had died to the Registry Office to Register the Death.
Registrar unable to decipher the certifying physician's signature - took 4 days to track down and contact the locum who had certified the Death - all added to a lengthy time between actual death and burial.

Unfortunately in my experience doctors rarely filled in the paperwork 100% correctly. On the MCCD (Cause of Death Certificate) they had to sign, print their name, and add their GMC registration number and qualifications. Rarely did they manage to do all four things so we often had to fill in the gaps - we used to have a folder with the details and sample signatures of all the local GPs to check against.

Hospital doctors & locums could be extremely difficult to track down, but with the medical examiner process now being introduced the paperwork should be checked before it gets to the registrar so hopefully won't be an issue going forward.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 11:37 GMT (UK) »
My mother's date of death was a Saturday 21st  December a few years ago   I was offered Christmas eve,  24th,  and I said no, I didn't want my mum to think I was getting rid of her quickly and I didn’t think it was possible to get everything arranged in time, as it happened I couldn't and we opted for 31st December,  awful Christmas

In certain religions the burials  have to be carried out within so many hours, I wonder how that was managed during the pandemic

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 March 24 21:23 GMT (UK) »
My step great, great, great grandmother's death cert I just bought from the GRO site, downloadable. I knew she was buried 5 January 1929. She was my 3xgreat grandfather's 2nd wife. Her death cert says she died 31 December 1928, and it was registered on 2nd Jan 1929. Her husband had died in 1893, and was also buried in Great Wakering, so I assume they were buried in the same grave plot.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Both of my parents were cremated 3 weeks after death.
This was to give time for family to organise travel from distant parts of the world.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 07:50 GMT (UK) »
My own father died 22nd December. In all honesty I did all the paperwork but where and when I cannot remember. I found the toughest thing was removing his Christmas presents from around the tree.  SS