Author Topic: Deaths near the very end of the year. Buried early the following year.  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths near the very end of the year. Buried early the following year.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
When it's a cremation it's sometimes possible to get an earlier date by opting for an unpopular time, eg earliest one of the day. I've been to several funerals in the last few years where the cremation has already taken place without ceremony.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 23 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Things were a lot quicker before all this paperwork.

From the burial register for St. Michael & All Angels, Croston, Lancashire, for 1783:
Dec:r 28th, Dec:r 30th, John Dale son of John Dale of Liverpool Common Brewer & Eliz:th his wife, Weeks 2, Convultions, on the south side of the Churchyard

Croston is about 25 miles from Liverpool, so it took a day extra than the usual between death and burial.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 23 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Things were a lot quicker before all this paperwork.

From the burial register for St. Michael & All Angels, Croston, Lancashire, for 1783:
Dec:r 28th, Dec:r 30th, John Dale son of John Dale of Liverpool Common Brewer & Eliz:th his wife, Weeks 2, Convultions, on the south side of the Churchyard

Croston is about 25 miles from Liverpool, so it took a day extra than the usual between death and burial.

Civil reg starting in 1837 probably extended the time between death and burial as a death cert had to be given for a burial to commence.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Unless I have been given an incorrect burial date, then I have a death registration of 10 February 1938 (and I do have the death certificate with date of death and of registration on the same day) in Liverpool and his burial in the village of Little Budworth in Cheshire on 12 February 1938.  Only about 30 miles between the two, so feasible.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:30 GMT (UK) »
And I've just found the memorial card for my grandfather - died 18 June 1956 and buried in the local churchyard 20 June 1956.  Location - Little Budworth, Cheshire.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Quite quick then, just 2 days between death and burial. It probably depended on several things.

In regards to my great grandad, died 30th Dec 1958, buried 3 Jan 1959, I found that 3rd Jan 1959 was a Saturday so a weekend burial. 4 days between death and burial. He died suddenly, and death registered on 31 Dec 1958, but no mention of a PM on the death cert.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 23 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Quite quick then, just 2 days between death and burial. It probably depended on several things.

In regards to my great grandad, died 30th Dec 1958, buried 3 Jan 1959, I found that 3rd Jan 1959 was a Saturday so a weekend burial. 4 days between death and burial. He died suddenly, and death registered on 31 Dec 1958, but no mention of a PM on the death cert.

Are you assuming that because it was a sudden death there would need to be a PM - or because a Coroner might get involved?

As per my earlier response re my brother, the coroner has got involved because of the circumstances of the death - he went in for day surgery and died 3 days later of total organ failure.  There was no post mortem required as the cause of death was known - it is the circumstances of how something that was supposed to be day surgery could have gone so badly wrong that the Coroner wants to investigate.

So I don't think sudden death or coroner involvement leads necessarily to a post mortem, but may be wrong.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 January 23 18:16 GMT (UK) »
The wishes of a neighbour who died recently was that he should be cremated with no relatives/friends there.  (He had an extensive family.)   
Undertakers took body to crematorium.  Body duly cremated and relative collected the ashes which were then scattered in the deceased favourite spot.
-------------------
Heard of someone who took relevant paper work from hospital where her relative had died to the Registry Office to Register the Death.
Registrar unable to decipher the certifying physician's signature - took 4 days to track down and contact the locum who had certified the Death - all added to a lengthy time between actual death and burial.
-------------------
When my father died his partner of 3 months wanted the ashes burying in the local C of E Cemetery. 
We wanted his ashes burying in the Methodist Cemetery of the village where he grew up. Bit of a disagreement !  They were buried in the C of E Cemetery.
12 months later his former partner was moving to Spain and agreed to the ashes being dug-up and re-interred in father's home village.  We had to get permission from various organisations to do this.
Sense that we'd done the right thing - father had never been in a Church in his life!
Often wondered if there is a disagreement about burial place who has the final say ?

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 January 23 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Often wondered if there is a disagreement about burial place who has the final say ?

As far as I know - who so ever claims and is given the ashes can do what they want with them.   

Regards 
Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia