Author Topic: tax lists late 1500s early 1600s, Dorking  (Read 874 times)

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
tax lists late 1500s early 1600s, Dorking
« on: Saturday 07 January 23 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I have come across these "facts" quoted online (from American sources of an early emigrant to the US), but I can't find any evidence of the actual records online.
The name I am interested in is Stockdale Cuddington (or variations - sometimes spelt Quiddington)
• Tax Lists: able to bear arms, 9 Nov 1596, Dorking, Surrey Musters, pub. By Surrey Record Society, vol. 3, p. 239)
• appears in frankpledge, 5 Oct 1606, Dorking, Surrey. Tithingman William Wood; John Mullins and Robert Dendy also listed.
• Bef 1622, Dorking, held "freely one tenement in West Streete called Godfreys, now converted into a tenement sometimes Cowpers and sometimes Henry Rogers, late Edward Goodwyns, purchased by the said Stockdale of Jasper Goodwyn." Nearby houses included those of William Mullins (Mayflower passenger) and Margaret Wood.
• Tax Lists: 1628, Dorking, Surrey.

If anyone has any where the originals of these "facts" may be found any guidance would be gratefully accepted.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tax lists late 1500s early 1600s, Dorking
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 23 18:10 GMT (UK) »
This sort of data looks as if it might all have originated in the Surrey Record Society journals. You might want to contact the Surrey History Centre at Woking and ask them if they recognise it? They have a full run of the journal there.
https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/culture-and-leisure/history-centre/contact-us

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: tax lists late 1500s early 1600s, Dorking
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 23 20:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks - I'll try that.