Author Topic: Finding identity of man mentioned in probate record.  (Read 1880 times)

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding identity of man mentioned in probate record.
« on: Sunday 08 January 23 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Philip Wilkinson was born on the 13th of August 1893 in London, England, to Conrad Augustus (1864 - 1915) and Maud Alice (1874 - ?) Wilkinson. He married Maria Sarah 'Marie' Golding in 1921, and they had a daughter who died in infancy. They had separated by 1928. I do not believe he remarried. He died 24th November 1954 in Hackney or Stoke Newington, London, England. In his probate record (20 May 1955), the recipient (?) is listed as George Howard Wilkinson, printer. Although this man is obviously related to Philip, I am not sure how. I have not found Philip to have had any cousins by this name (though George was a family name), and he was an only child. Can anybody help me find out who George is? Thank you :)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/32858_633870_1431-00265?pId=19223178

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding identity of man mentioned in probate record.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 23 03:09 GMT (UK) »
George Howard WILKINSON baptised Sidcup, Kent 1913, son of George Harry and Maud Frances (nee HOWARD).  Father's occupation, publisher.

George (widower) and Maud's marriage in 1906 names his father as Augustus WILKINSON, deceased.

1911 census at Sidcup has George Snr. aged 55 born Great Ilford, Essex.

WILKINSON, GEORGE  HARRY
Mother's maiden surname: RIDGE     
GRO Reference: 1855  D Quarter in THE ROMFORD UNION  Volume 04A  Page 72

He was Conrad's brother?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 23 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Conrad Augustus was registered as just Augustus.

WILKINSON, AUGUSTUS
GRO Reference: 1864  J Quarter in EPSOM  Volume 02A  Page 5

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »

Can anybody help me find out who George is? Thank you :)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/32858_633870_1431-00265?pId=19223178

Your link to Ancestry only opens at a subscription page (for Ancestry non-users).

Can you not snip the relevant text and add the attachment for others to see?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 23 10:07 GMT (UK) »
In his probate record (20 May 1955), the recipient (?) is listed as George Howard Wilkinson, printer. Although this man is obviously related to Philip, I am not sure how. I have not found Philip to have had any cousins by this name (though George was a family name), and he was an only child. Can anybody help me find out who George is? Thank you :)

The man mentioned is the Executor, who may or may not be a beneficiary.
You need to see the will to see if he was a beneficiary.
Also he is not "obviously related" to your man? He may (for example) be a solicitor, who happens to share the surname.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't think KGarrad's hypothetical example that George could have been a solicitor holds up, since we are told that George was a printer. None the less his point about not jumping to conclusions is a valid one. Get a copy of the will and you will find out a good deal more about the George Wilkinson who was the executor, including his address. If George was related, the exact relationship will no doubt be mentioned in the will. You are also likely to find out something about any other close family who may be mentioned in the will, such as where they were living at the time the will was written (not necessarily where they were when Philip died). You can also find out when the will was made, either years before his death or in the days or weeks before it. The size of his estate (around £6174) was a lot of money in 1955 and so it will be interesting for you to see how Philip wanted to divide it up after he was gone.
In my experience £1.50 to get a will is usually money well spent.

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
George Howard WILKINSON baptised Sidcup, Kent 1913, son of George Harry and Maud Frances (nee HOWARD).  Father's occupation, publisher.

George (widower) and Maud's marriage in 1906 names his father as Augustus WILKINSON, deceased.

1911 census at Sidcup has George Snr. aged 55 born Great Ilford, Essex.

WILKINSON, GEORGE  HARRY
GRO Reference: 1855  D Quarter in THE ROMFORD UNION  Volume 04A  Page 72

He was Conrad's brother?

Yes - George Harry was Conrad's brother! I must have missed George Howard in my research. Thank you.

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 23 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't think KGarrad's hypothetical example that George could have been a solicitor holds up, since we are told that George was a printer. None the less his point about not jumping to conclusions is a valid one. Get a copy of the will and you will find out a good deal more about the George Wilkinson who was the executor, including his address. If George was related, the exact relationship will no doubt be mentioned in the will. You are also likely to find out something about any other close family who may be mentioned in the will, such as where they were living at the time the will was written (not necessarily where they were when Philip died). You can also find out when the will was made, either years before his death or in the days or weeks before it. The size of his estate (around £6174) was a lot of money in 1955 and so it will be interesting for you to see how Philip wanted to divide it up after he was gone.
In my experience £1.50 to get a will is usually money well spent.

Thanks for your response. You've given some good advice, but Philip was not an actual relation (his ex-wife was), so I am not particularly interested in looking him any further after this.