Author Topic: Sproston family - Thurlwood, Odd Rode  (Read 1654 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sproston family - Thurlwood, Odd Rode
« on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hoping there are some inspired detectives to look at this!
The 1861 census at Thurlwood shows these Sprostons : Elizabeth widow 56 b Sandbach, Jane 30 housemaid b Odd Rode, son Henry 11 b OR,  son Samuel 17 lab b OR.  I have all the details I need for them.
Then it shows grandson William 9 b Odd Rode, who I believe to be the illegitimate son of Jane above, also shown in birth and later records as William Henry.
But my problem is with the final two. Granddaughter Elizabeth 4 b Burslem, and grandson Thomas 1 b Odd Rode. I have Elizabeth in 1861 and 1871 then her marriage in 1881 at Prestbury to Charles Bason, where she is shown as the daughter of Thomas Sproston, a joiner. I have Thomas in 1861,  not 1871 or 1881, but I do have his marriage in 1890 in Chorlton-upon-Medlock to Annie Pugh, where his father is also shown as Thomas Sproston, joiner.

So the question is who and where was their father? If they are the grandchildren of Elizabeth then she did have a son called Thomas but he was born in 1840 and died in 1847. If she had a second Thomas born after then, he would be too young to have children in 1857 and 1861. If she had him earlier then they would not have named another child Thomas while he was still around. Might he have been Elizabeth's son, named Thomas, but by someone else, and then took the name Sproston after his mother married? If so, where is there any record of him? He is not with her in 1841.
Can anyone spot any holes in this? I think I'll go for a lie down now :) 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sproston family - Thurlwood, Odd Rode
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
1861 is spelt Sproson  There are 2 possible Staffordshire births for granddaughter Elizabeth

Eliza Sproson March qtr 1857 Newcastle under Lyme mmn Eggerton

Elizabeth Sproston September qtr 1857 Wolstanton - no mmn so illegitimate.  Burslem came under Wolstanton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 23 18:07 GMT (UK) »
and could this be birth entry for Thomas - no mmn

SPROSTON, THOMAS       - 
GRO Reference: 1859  D Quarter in CONGLETON  Volume 08A  Page 264

added birth entry you mention for William

SPROSTON, WILLIAM  HENRY     - 
GRO Reference: 1851  S Quarter in CONGLETON  Volume 19  Page 95
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Odd Rode 15 Feb 1861 for Thomas Sproston, mother Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Odd Rode 15 Feb 1861 for Thomas Sproston, mother Jane

Great find Rosie  :)

I have Thomas in 1861,  not 1871 or 1881, but I do have his marriage in 1890 in Chorlton-upon-Medlock to Annie Pugh, where his father is also shown as Thomas Sproston, joiner.

The 5 April 1890 marriage is on family search no occupation entered for father Thomas  :-\
Thomas is aged 29, single his occupation Engineer address 3 Goldschmi? Street

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-X989-KPB?i=138&cc=1788853&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A233L-SYK
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. However, with the exception of one error on my part, I already have all the information you gave me.

Carole – I checked on the Elizabeth whose mmn was Eggerton and found her elsewhere later, so that one is not mine. So I agree that the one born Q1 1857 is the right one, but have found only the index you list, and no parish record with more information on it.

Ladyhawk - yes, I have deduced that William is the William Henry you mention, born in Congleton. Cheshirebmd shows it as Sandbach sub-district. I found a baptism record for Thomas at Odd Rode on 15.2.61 (as mentioned by Rosie).

Ladyhawk(2) – quite right that the groom’s father Thomas does not have an occupation listed. A slip of the digit on my part. The street is Goldschmidt Street in the Ardwick district.

However, my question is to try to identify Thomas the father of Elizabeth and Thomas. When was he born, where is he recorded in censuses ? He is not with Elizabeth, their grandmother and presumably his mother, in 1841 or any succeeding census.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Both Thomas & Elizabeth were registered as Sproston - no mothers maiden name.  Thomas was the illegitimate son of unmarried Jane Sproston & it's very likely she was also the mother of Elizabeth but you need to buy the birth cert to confirm.

Very common practice for illegitimate children to invent a father when they married in order to appear "respectable"   That is what has happened here.  There is no father called Thomas Sproston
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 23 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting!
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald