Author Topic: Searching for information of burials in newcastle upon tyne  (Read 4169 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for information of burials in newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 23 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Did you search at the library?  Can you search at library?  Where did you search?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 23 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne lass
Yes I've searched at the Newcastle city library I've even searched St John's cemetery but I very much doubt they had a headstone ile keep doing more searches but thank you for your help
Catherine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 23 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Just checking have you searched the relevant register - consecrated or unconsecrated?  Or the right year - you wrote 1917 originally, could you have searched wrong year - or was that just a slip on here?
If Mary died at the end of December she may not have been buried until following year in January.

That's good that you are able to get to the library.

You could try looking at other nearby cemeteries registers.
Or, and this might be a bit of a trawl but you could check through the Evening Chronicle notices for the Dec Quarter and possibly some of March quarter the next year for Mary.  If there was a notice this may record burial place.  Then you may find Patricia at the same cemetery as family members sometimes could be buried in the same place.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a Newspaper report in the Newcastle Daily Chronicle October 9 1915 about a Mary Isabella Fraser aged 8 daughter of William Fraser, a drayman, who was run over and killed by a motor vehicle in Duke Street, Newcastle, on September 28th 1915.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne lass
And Jen thank you both so much for your information I can't believe this Article that's absolutely exactly what happened a Neighbour sent Mary to buy some bread for her and Mary was knocked down and killed by a Coop van so tragic my Great Grandmother never got over her death Thankyou so much for this information I really appreciate this now I'm going to search for her funeral notice and as River Tyne said Patricia would also be buried in the same cemetery
Kind regards
Catherine

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Here's the announcement in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 1st October 1915

Fraser - 19 Duke Street, Newcastle, Mary (Molly) the dearly beloved daughter of William and Mary Fraser on 28th ult, aged 8 years 11 months.To be interred at Elswick on Saturday at 2.30. All friends kindly invited.

So what you now need to do is to take a look at the Burial Register for Elswick Cemetery. This will be in date order so you should be able to find her burial easily. It should include the details of the grave number and section in which she was buried, which you can then look up in the Grave Register.

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen B
Thankyou so much for the obituary of Mary I really appreciate you finding this information I never even knew my Great Grandmother lived in Duke Street and now I know Mary was buried in Elswick Cemetery I can't tell you how much this means to me and my family I'm sure that's were Patricia will be buried and there father William Fraser will also be buried there too also I'M very grateful to you and River Tyne lass that's all I wanted was some help finding the burial Graves and you both have helped me 😊
Kind regards
Catherine

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of Elswick burial records are available via Family Search, but sadly not for the years you're interested in.

I should think that Newcastle Library have got the Elswick records on microfilm (RTL will be able to confirm) if not you will have to look at them at Tyne & Wear Archives.

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB
Thankyou 😊I'm going to go to the city library it's the top floor local studies I'm sure the will be able to help me now that you have found all the information for me also I'm going to ring the Civic centre for the plot number at the cemetery to visit Mary's Grave maybe Patricia might also be buried there
Thankyou you kindly
Catherine K